Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate song used on Cinemax ad

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 16:07:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Kate song used on Cinemax ad
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2464bb$sk3@bigguy.eng.ufl.edu> greg@irl.ise.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) writes:

>ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi) writes:
>>This wouldn't be from the song "Something Good", by the Utah Saints,
>>would it?  The Utah Saints took this sample from Kate, and put it
>>into a remixed, dance-type song.  (They paid Kate for this, by the way.)
>
>It didn't sound like Kate to me, and it definitely wasn't her non-vocal tracks.

You are both right.  Showtime *is* using "Something Good" from the Utah
Saints but it is *not* Kate's voice anymore.  I've heard Utah Saint's
version with Kate's sample and this version has some vocalist
immitating the sample instead.  As the Katefans who have heard the
Showtime version have said, it doesn't sound like Kate.  It's not
something as good either, of course!  ;)