Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Commercial???

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 09:17:42 -0700
Subject: Re: Commercial???
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9308111826.AA06004@dlsun87.us.oracle.com> you write:
>Kate has been commercially successful (at least in the UK) from the
>word "go" but I would hesitate to call "Wuthering Heights"
>particularly accessible.  Accessible, as defined by record companies,
>means "really safe music that sounds like everything else out there."
>I think WH can hardly be counted in that boat.

>Jon Drukman                                      jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com

I really don't understand the difference between "commercial" and
"accessible".  They both mean that the general public likes the work.
I mean, I can see something being "accessible" without being "commercial"
-- bad luck could have prevented the song from being heard by a lot
of people.  But a "commercial" song just has to be "accessible".
Since "Wuthering Heights" was a big hit in the UK, it must have been
"accessible" to a large number of people there.  Nothing wrong with
that, in my opinion!

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov