Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Commercial???

From: Philip.Sainty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Sainty)
Date: 11 Aug 1993 05:15:45 GMT
Subject: Re: Commercial???
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@newznet.net.nz

In article <4984.9308100450@daiches.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>,
Richard Caley <rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk> wrote:

>That KaTe has any kind of reputation as an obscure or
>`alternative' artist is mostly due to non-existant promotion of the
>early albums in the US.

ummm... I wouldn't know about promotion in the US :-)
But yes, I imagine she has a much higher profile in England...

>> I agree that these are wonderful songs, but I don't consider them
>> 'mainstream', as this implies that they are comparable with the songs
>> you hear in the pop charts, which, IMHO, they are not.

>The reason for that has nothing to do with comerciality of other styles
>and lots to do with the fact that chart are based on single sales which
>are dominatedby an age group that likes those styles.

Good point...

>Besides which, She'll be in the singles chart very soon now.

>Much as I hate to disagree with Vickie, it does matter to me if the
>album and singles are a big hit. I want to stand maximal chance of
>hearing something reasonable playing as background in shops and on the
>radio.

Agreed!

I'm just worried that rather than walking into a shop and hearing the
KaTe I know and love singing, she'll be singing the sorts of songs I
hear in shops at the moment.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear anything from the album apart
from a sampled .au version of "Moments of Pleasure" which I liked despite
the poor sound quality, so I am probably overreacting a lot :)
--
Philip.         "Little light..."
_O_             "Can you not see that little light up there?"
 |/             "Where?"
 |\             "There!"        --Waking the Witch