Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate in ICE

From: Philip.Sainty@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Sainty)
Date: 9 Aug 1993 00:38:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate in ICE
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@newznet.net.nz

In article <234610070893*/I=GR/G=GRAHAM/S=DOMBKINS/OU=BHPMELMSM/O=BHP/PRMD=BHPMEL04/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/@mhs>,

heretic@zeus.tamu.edu (Evolve or Perish) said...

>Does anyone else find all this talk about the new album's "commercial
>potential" just a little creepy?

>The tone of these industry newsletters just puts a bad noise in my head.
>"...most commercial to date...at least two hit singles...most accesible
>work ever..." I can almost see the drool. Sickening.

I have to admit I feel somewhat nervous about these comments...
Only three or four years ago, I was listening to 'popular' radio stations
along with 'everyone else', but I also found that so much of the music
sounded the same...

Then I began to discover radio stations which played 'alternative' music
(read 'not played on popular radio') and although some of it was just
plain weird which I couldn't relate to at all, I found other music that
really spoke out to me - listening to the old radio stations afterwards
made me want to scream as it sounded so awful.

For me, finding KaTe (unfortunately a relatively recent event) was similar
to finding these 'new' radio stations. It was a wonderful new experience,
and it is one which I relive every time I listen to her.

The thought of Kate becoming more 'commercial' is worrying. The comment
that "There are certainly two - if not more - top ten single on it" is
especially worrying considering the contents of the top 10 last time I
looked (I don't know how different New Zealand tastes are to the UK -
I think NZ is closer to the USA in 'our' music tastes)

I hope that my fears are unwarranted... (I expect I'll be buying "The Red
Shoes" along with the rest of you, regardless... <sigh>)

--
Philip.		"Little light..."
_O_		"Can you not see that little light up there?"
 |/		"Where?"
 |\		"There!"        --Waking the Witch