Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Katemas in San Jose

From: L-H@cup.portal.COM
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 93 01:28:49 PDT
Subject: Re: Happy Katemas in San Jose
To: Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Katefan and ectophile extraordinare David Koehler said:

>Happy Katemas!

Thanks to Larry Hernandez for hosting a wonderful Katemas in San Jose.

Thanks to all of you, we had such a nice time.  And a very very special
(I'm sure from all of us) THANK YOU to PETER MANCHESTER AND JORN AND CHRIS
and everyone else who helped get the videotape tree started.  U.S. Postal
Service Express Mail overnight arrived at my doorstep with the hot package
at exaKTly 0930 with Andy's copy of the tape SCREAMIN' for my VCR :-) !!
I put down my rolled up copy of the subway dust-thru-the-ol'-fingers poster
and sat down for a few moments of pleasure.  As a matter of fact, now that
Happy's stunning _Rearmament_ has just finished, 'xcuse me while I go pop
in a certain special little Hi8 tape of my own... ;-)

>Thanks to IED for bringing his extra-special items, including a home
made killer KT trivia version of "Jeopardy!".

Yeah, Andy, even me and my last-place -900 points thank you.  sheesh..

>No thanks to the weather, which was a record high 101 degrees!

drinking plenty of liquids...

Really! I knew it would be warmer Saturday, but my expectations were off
by about 15 degrees F!  I don't have air conditioning in my little place,
so by midafternoon, it was sweat city in here, even using a fan.  Poor
Karen had reached the point of cold compresses to the forehead way before
then, so I've gotta hand it to all for hanging in there till 11pm!  It
was great to talk to Vickie in Chicago, and IED called Ron Hill in San
Diego later.  Then Peter Manchester called later, and I got a chance to
thank him live-for one who has turned pretty much into a lurker these last
few years, I feel so fortunate to have been able to get in on the tape
tree, and to have heard the four new songs already-wow.

And speaking of new items: I don't know that this little item has been
mentioned on L-H yet, but there is what appears to be a PBS-Discovery
Channel-style of program out called _The Last Show on Earth_, which
features use of the music of Kate, Peter Gabriel, Beverly Craven, David
Gilmour, Elton John, Michael Kamen, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Julian
Lennon, Praise, Seal, and everyone's fave, Soul II Soul.  It's kind of an
environmental-awareness type of subject matter, talking about ozone, rain-
forests, pollution of various types, political bullsh*t involved, etc.  It
opens with a scene from outer space of floating astronauts and beautiful
pictures of Earth, and waterfalls, mountains, and such, while a snippet of
"Hello Earth" and the men's choir portion of "The Ninth Wave" is edited in
quite nicely, according to IED.  This Kate part lasts only about 2 minutes
or so, but is very nice.  I've watched about an hour of this show, and
heard no more Kate music used, but I agree it was well done.

Anyway, thanks again all for such a wonderful Katemas.  There is talk of
Karen Newcombe hosting the album release party in her cool new Haight-
Ashbury place in San Francisco.  Sounds like fun!

And thanks to Kate.  She really IS!  And She's BACK, with a passion!

Larry (L-H@cup.portal.com)