Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Possibly for sale: Cloudbusting CD single

From: merlin@huey.cc.utexas.edu (john higdon)
Date: 26 Jul 93 01:52:22
Subject: Re: Possibly for sale: Cloudbusting CD single
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <22v024INNmdo@lynx.unm.edu> lazlo%triton.unm.edu@lynx.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) writes:

   >> Exactly how rare is this item?

   >It is, in fact, Pretty Damn Rare.  I spend more time in record shops and
   >reading collector's marketplace magazines than most and have never seen
   >the disc in person.  It's offered for sale in the magazines only
   >occasionally and usually for $50, $75, or more.  Demand for the disc
   >dropped pretty seriously when the boxed set came out, however.  A good
   >percentage of the folks who wanted it wanted it because it was, at the
   >time, the only place to get the Meteorological Mix on compact disc.
   >
   >--
   >Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

Well, the guy I mentioned as having three of this particular CD, had but one
when I met him.  It was not mint; the shrinkwrap was ragged and torn somewhat.
Still, he had placed a price sticker on it stating its intended price of $300.

I remember seeing an ad in Goldmine a couple months ago, asking I believe on
the order of $100.  This latter is more in the range you mentioned.

So the question is, is this guy nuts?  Or is there anybody out there who would
have been willing to part with $300, for a CD that for the most part contains
songs easily available elsewhere, and that you would be afraid of opening lest
you instantly devalue your prize?

And this meeting was not even a year ago, long after the appearance of the box
set which you say has taken the steam out of this item.  In fact, at the same
record convention this took place, was present such a set.

He told me he had seen Goldmine ads with similar prices for the CD.  Could he
mean ads submitted before the advent of the anthology?

I am very curious, for my own egotistical reasons, which may become clearer in
the course of this discussion.

John Higdon