Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: First Kate

From: langrlld@rtsg.mot.com (Daniel J. Langrill)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1993 20:59:47 GMT
Subject: Re: First Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@rtsg.mot.com

    Many folks are recommending "The Dreaming" as the album to introduce
    Kate-less folks to our amazing world.  Well, true, "The Dreaming" is
    the best album ever made, and then some, which is why it is a BAD choice
    to introduce folks to Kate.  You see, once they realize "Wow!  This is GREAT
    STUFF!  What ELSE has this GODDESS done?", then they go get, say, "Never
    For Ever", their reaction will be, "Oh.", NOT REALIZING it is ALSO a work
    of UTTER BRILLIANCE.  So, what you do is introduce folks to Kate with,
    say, N4E (or TKI or TSW), and they will scream "This is AMAZING!  What
    ELSE has this GODDESS done?", THEN you let them hear the other two, and
    your victim will say "MORE!  I have to have MORE!", and then you play
    HOL for them, and they'll cry out "HEY!  This is even BETTER!", *THEN*
    you unleash The Dreaming, where they will immediately vanish in a puff
    of utter perfection.

    For the record (no pun intended), I've noticed most folks seem to have
    been turned onto KaTe with HoL; on the other hand The Hole Story (ask me
    about that pun) is safe as houses.

    - Stev0 (who just turned someone new onto Kate Last Week! It's true!)

    "Hello, I know that you've been feeling tired
    I bring you love, and deep misunderstanding" - Rec.Music.Gaffa theme song

Well, I first got turned on to Kate Bush with the Sensual World, actually (the
song more than the album).  Anyhow, once I got the Box Set and started listening
to her other stuff, YES, I think that "The Dreaming" is her best album.

BUT...I think it comes down to what that person's musical tastes are.  If he/she
is the 4AD-type, "The Dreaming" or "Hounds of Love" is a safe bet.  But, maybe
that's too wierd to start people off on.

I know, when I FIRST got TWW, I HATED "The Dreaming".  It had to grow on me.
Now, I'm listening to "The Kick Inside" all the time, so who knows...

Dan
--

Dan Langrill
langrlld@marble.rtsg.mot.com