Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: PJ Harvey concert review and other bits

From: jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 10:16:08 PDT
Subject: Re: PJ Harvey concert review and other bits
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

E. Stephen Mack is NOT a young american primitive:
>> In general, I would much rather see these types of mix-things be
>> done using good music as a basis rather than junk music.
>I agree.  The problem is that imitations and samples are taken to
>be an insult to the original artist -- IF the sampler is no good (in
>the opinion of the listener, of course).

i think being sampled is a very sincere and high form of flattery,
*if* the sample *contributes* to the new composition (rather than
BEING the new composition - ie: ripping a 4 bar loop and rapping over
it is NOT creative and is not particularly flattering to the original
artist).  "something good" skates a thin line, for me.  i leave it up
to the individual to decide whether they like it or not.

>> I think the guys from Utah have captured some essence from Cloudbusting,
>> some optimistic, positive energy (NPI) from that song.

>This made me laugh.  Sorry.  It was just so literal, like if you were
>reviewing the Cranberries' new album by saying "These tart little red
>fruit sure can rock!"

i think he was kidding.

>As far as I know, Utah Saints are just one guy, J. Willis, who's from
>Leeds (or at least his management is).  Note the "Correspondence/
>Merchandise" address in the liner.

all the music rags i've seen describes them as two DJs from Leeds.

--
Jon Drukman                                      jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.