Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Utah Saints? Thumbs Up!

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 12 Jul 93 11:22:36 EDT
Subject: Utah Saints? Thumbs Up!
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Big Stripy Lie:
>   It means Kate's been hanging around with Danelle Dax. Maybe. We'll
Or perhaps the Cocteau Twins.  :-)

I picked up a copy of the Utah Saints Something Good CD-5, which,
for a single, sure has lotsa stuff on it.  Anyways, I had not heard
SG, which for those who just emerged from hibernation is based (loosely)
on, and uses samples of Cloudbusting in the mix.  But I like it!
In general, I would much rather see these types of mix-things be
done using good music as a basis rather than junk music.
I think the guys from Utah have captured some essence from Cloudbusting,
some optimistic, positive energy (NPI) from that song.
Who cares if it's just a sample.  BTW, I also like the Annie Lennox
sample, and most of the rest of this CD5.  Definitely worth dancing/
driving to.  People should also check out the Blue Pearl RUTH cover
(that whole CD is great) and the Sonny Sharrock KT theme (ditto for
his album with this cut).  Kate covers are KOOL!

After all imitation is the highest form of flattery.

-mjm

P.S.  After much back and forth, it seems that Jorn's Tape Tree's
growth has become temporarily a little stinted.  I trust that Jorn will
(or perhaps already has) fill(ed) you in with the details,
but just be aware there may be a bit of a delay.