Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sick of KB

From: neile@stein.u.washington.edu (Neile Graham)
Date: 28 Jun 1993 15:08:55 GMT
Subject: Re: Sick of KB
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.u.washington.edu

In article <1993Jun28.083502.18258@ousrvr.oulu.fi> klindman@phoenix.oulu.fi (Kimmo Lindman) writes:

>   There wouldn't be so many Kate Bush fans out there if you
>people just knew of Mylene Farmer. The French speaking world
>knows it better, they don't need Kate Bush. They already have
>Mylene, who has 100 times better voice, lyrics, looks & style
>than Kate. (Not to even mention her videos = High Art)

[stuff deleted to sand bandwidth]

As someone just introduced to Mylene Farmer through her music (I haven't
seen what everyone claims are her wonderful videos), I would say don't bother.

Her voice is okay (doesn't have much range or be able to express more than
one or two emotions).  There are some nice moments in the music, but
nothing too exciting, so far as I can tell from _L'autre_, the used cd I
found in Canada a couple of weeks ago.  Also, as far as I could tell from
the number of used cds of hers I found around, a lot of other people don't
think she's a keeper, either.

Most of the songs would be great in a disco.  They have, as I said, some
good moments, but not enough to keep me interested.  It's mostly pretty
canned and does nothing particularly innovative.

Especially after listening to _Hounds of Love_, which isn't even my
favourite KaTe, last night for the first time in ages, Mylene Farmer
doesn't have a hope of approaching Kate.

By the way, if anyone's *really* interested, I have a used used copy of
l'autre I'm more than willing to sell.

>   Kimmo Lindman (ex-Kate Bush fan)

Each to his or her own taste, but that sure isn't mine.  And this is a
DUMB place to promote someone who doesn't even approach the individuality
of Kate Bush's music.

--Neile Graham
neile@u.washington.edu