Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ALBUM NEWSFLASH!

From: jorn@chinet.chinet.com (Jorn Barger)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 12:22:00 GMT
Subject: Re: ALBUM NEWSFLASH!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I started to transcribe the Hans Christan Andersen version of "The Red Shoes"
but it's so moralistic I'm having second thoughts.  A pretty girl wears red
shoes to church, because they're beautiful, and is punished by being unable
to stop dancing until her feet are cut off.  She repents, the churchgoers
'forgive' her, and she dies and goes to heaven.  Happy ending! (ha!)

Compare this to "Why should I whisper in church, because they say it's sacred
ground?  My sacrilege will do you good!"

How does the movieplot compare?  My Guide says it's a trite story of a
dancer who's forced to sacrifice romance for art.  Hardly seems connected.

If it's the HCA story, I hope she gives it a twist...

To me the news of Kate's TRS film is the most hopeful omen of sustained
new inspiration.  But when O when will it play in the USA????

Chris writes:
>   Kate's really not a great reader. Her knowledge of the story is
>probably based on a specific movie. Most of her fiction-based songs
>are based on films she has seen, rather than the books. [...]
>The Sensual World was based on a reading of Molly's speech by Siobhan
>MacKenna

But Kate *does* claim to have read Ulysses, no small challenge, given its
notorious difficulty.

jorn