Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ALBUM NEWSFLASH!

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 19:49 CDT
Subject: Re: ALBUM NEWSFLASH!
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <C8Mqxp.IG0@cbnewsi.cb.att.com> you write:
>YEAH! I've been monitoring this newsgroup for
>a LONG time waiting to see news like this....
>
>"The Red Shoes" is a well-known SAD story about
>a ballet dancer.  Can't remember the details of the
>story since its been years since I read it except that its
>very very sad.   Like someone dies.

   If it's the same story I'm thinking of, the magic ballet slippers
make the dancer dance until she dies. It's the sort of thing one reads
to little girls who want to become ballet dancers; if they have the
sort of temperment to become ballet dancers they will think that it's
the most tragic and wonderful story they have ever heard and will
devote their lives to ballet. If they are sane they will be repulsed
and forget all about ballet and go back to playing with their "My Little
Pony."

>Knowing Kate's love for literature, maybe
>this story is a basis for a song and the album title?

   Kate's really not a great reader. Her knowledge of the story is
probably based on a specific movie. Most of her fiction-based songs
are based on films she has seen, rather than the books.

Wuthering Heights was based on a TV movie,
The Sensual World was based on a reading of Molly's speech by Siobhan
MacKenna,
Houdini was based on the movie with Tony Curtis (fictionalized ending),
The Infant Kiss was based on the film The Innocents,

   The only songs known to be based on books rather than movies are
Get Out Of My House was inspired by The Shining
Cloudbusting by A Book Of Dreams.

   Kate has other songs inspired by TV and Movies, Pull Out The Pin,
Hammer Horror. She has said that she really doesn't read much fiction,
and prefers non-fiction.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)