Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Usenet login <news@ns1.NoDak.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 02:24:23 GMT
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: dhenry@plains.NoDak.edu (David R. Henry)
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
Sender: usenet@ns1.nodak.edu (Usenet login)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1993 02:24:20 GMT

>> "The Dreaming" by Barbara Wood.  The book is about AUSTRALIA!!!  So I
>> thought "hmmm..." but after checking the many acknowledgements found no
>> reference to Kate.  So I checked the publishing date - 1991!  So... Is this
>
>Kate, unfortunatly, has nothing to do with the term "The Dreaming."
>"The Dreaming" is a reference to the aborigines' (sp) belief that
>before humans were in existence, they were animals that could change
>shape.

Also known as Alcheringa, and subject of far too few books, IMO. It's
not so much that the animals could change shape, by the way, as it was
they were all in their *original* shape. The Dreamtime is a map to the
current world, because Alcheringa is the root of all time. Thus, what
appears to just be a rock next to a pond is actually where Willie Wag-Boy
(to make up a name), a lizard, lay down to rest after throwing away his
boomerang. Nifty stuff.

As usual when I stick my foot out, I always invite those who really know
what's going on to visit my mailbox and feel smug about it.

"Well, we're back in the truck."

--
David R. Henry - Rogue Fan Club -- Cthulhu! Cthulhu! Cthulhu! And Cthooky!
My mind is a jackal.--Richard Darwin // What was the question? --Kate Bush