Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Discography

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 02:57 CDT
Subject: Re: Discography
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Graham writes (about the CD-ROM idea.)
                          That was the one I was thinking of -------^^^^^^^^
>file access standard. All personal computer platforms have CD-ROM drivers that
>can read the this standard. All you need is to have the actual gaffa text (in a
>standardised 'news' format) stored in a data section, and then have reader
>applications for each of the standard PC platforms in another section such that
>ANYBODY could read, search and print the data in the normal way. There could be
>a section for 'The Garden', 'Cloudbusting' and 'Deeper Understanding' with data
>stored in simple text and maybe standard WP format, once again acorrding to PC
>platform. Piccies and sound would be just cream on the top!! We're looking at
>having about 600Mb of space to burn on a CD-ROM. How much bulk does the
>archives take up at the moment? How about the IED and Ron Hill projects?

   The Garden (checking my copy) is less than a single megabyte. Teeny.
The entire archive wouldn't even make a dent in a CD-ROM, so it wouldn't
be much trouble to include as many different versions as the mass mind
of gaffa can produce. It would be useable at the lowest common level
as just text with file names limited to DOS lengths and in as many
different hypertext versions as possible. Let's get started.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)