Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Discography

From: rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 08:03:51 BST
Subject: Re: Discography
To: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In article <m0o0epX-000Nm6C@zoodle.robin.de>, Ulrich Grepel (ug) writes:

ug> Let's talk about the text file format. I could offer TeX,
ug> PostScript, plain ASCII, rtf (w/out hypertext and pictures, then
ug> it could be read by many MS-WINDOWS applications as MS-Word). Of
ug> course there's also the possibility to put it on the ftp server in
ug> several formats, but that would a) increase space usage and b)
ug> increase difficulty in maintaining it.

I did a LaTeXinfo version of Ron Hill's Cloudbusting KT quote
compilation. That format has the advantage that you can run it through
LaTeX to get a nicely formatted version and also process it to produce
an `info' file with simple hypertext structure. Info files can be
explored in emacs or using `xinfo' in X, I don't know if there are
native Windows, MessyDos etc. readers for it.

A way to get multiple formats without impossible maintainence is to
pick a format with lots of structure and be careful to use it in a fairly
predictable way. Then it should be realtievly easy to automatically
convert it.

--
rjc@cogsci.ed.ac.uk			_O_