Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Discography

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 00:29 MET DST
Subject: Discography
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

>    It's sill alive, but less accessable than before. It's nice that
> love-hounds is on one of the most well-known sites on the net, but
> I'd prefer that ftp.uwp.edu be the "official" Kate archive.

The main problem with it (BILL!!!) is at the moment that the newest stuff from
rec.music.gaffa is from November 92. By now there's half a year that does not yet
exist in the archives.

well - there are not too many files missing on MY computer. Completing my

archive is something that I wanted to do for a long time now. But unfortunately
I have no ftp access from @home - in no direction :-(. (And I am NOT going to
email these 80 or so Megabytes (unpacked) to anyone. Hey! What about a CD-ROM?)

>    There is a a pretty good "Illustrated Collector's Guide to Kate Bush"
> by Robert Godwin that lists almost everything.

Yes.

>    Uli seems to be keeping the discography updated. Perhaps he will
> upload it?

Well - the stuff I added to the 'Illustrated...Guide...' was the stuff I have
that's not in it. What I posted is by far not a complete discography. I think
such a thing should be constructed, and I even volunteer to do it. Methinks
a hierarchical discography would be best. It should contain a basic discography
and a collectors discography and some in-betweens. Going from the IMPORTANT
stuff (albums) over important stuff (singles) to (important) stuff (different
version of singles/albums/etc). Of course all other items (bootlegs, tapes,
videos, posters (?), postcards (?)) should/could be included there and of course

this seems to get much work. At first I need some suggestions for the data
format, since I personally would know how to create such a hierarchical
discography with and for MY system (a NeXT, probably I'd use rtf format with

hypertext links), but that's not something too many people here could use.
The best thing would be to use some data base program, but that's difficult
to post.

If I do this I would start with the basic stuff and the stuff I have. Then I
would think about the stuff in the 'Illustrated...Guide...'. Can I add this
stuff? Or do I have to get permission to do so? Of course some items described
in love-hounds can be added too. Then I would post it (assuming it's not tooooo
large - else I would go to university and use some ftp uploading...). The next
needed thing is that I get additions from all of you. Surely you together have
MUCH more stuff than me + Ill.Guide + previous_mentions_on_gaffa_that_i_find.

Let's talk about the text file format. I could offer TeX, PostScript, plain

ASCII, rtf (w/out hypertext and pictures, then it could be read by many
MS-WINDOWS applications as MS-Word). Of course there's also the possibility
to put it on the ftp server in several formats, but that would a) increase
space usage and b) increase difficulty in maintaining it.

Bye,

Uli