Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wuthering Heights movie on 3sat

From: v115p8d6@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (she listens like her head's on fire..)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 20:46:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Wuthering Heights movie on 3sat
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nntp@acsu.buffalo.edu

In article <m0ntu2W-000NiFC@zoodle.robin.de>, uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes...
>Hi,
>
>living in Europe? wanna have the same opportunity for an inspiration
>as our KaTe had some 16 years ago? The German-Austrian-Swiss satellite
>TV channel 3sat is going to broadcast
>

>    Stuermische Hoehen           (German version of Wuthering Heights)
>
>on
>

>    Thursday, May 20, 1993, 17:15 - 19:00 (CET)
>
>It's the old version from 1939 with Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff and
>Vivian Leigh as Cathy.

This is wishful thinking.;-) As much as I would love to see Vivien Leigh
in this role, Wuthering Heights starred Merle Oberon as Cathy. If you look
at the date, you will see that it is the same as Gone With the Wind...Vivien
Leigh's big role.

If I remember correctly, this was Olivier's first movie in Hollywood and
his wife (vivien leigh) came over with him to the US to audition for
Gone With the Wind. I'm not as familiar with Merle Oberon but I know
that she was part Indian but hid it because of prejudice in Hollywood
at the time. She also played opposite Leslie Howard (Ashley Wilkes from
GWTW) in The Scarlett Pimpernel. Can't remember the other movies she was
in.

Quenby