Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cloudbusting

From: meriel@stein.u.washington.edu (Drama Geek)
Date: 17 May 1993 21:20:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Cloudbusting
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.u.washington.edu

RIDLEY@glerl.noaa.gov writes:

>Interested people,

>  I think that 'Cloudbusting' has a deeper meaning then the "father gets
>taken away by the goverment because he has experimented with the
>weather." I think that she is talking about fear in general. If you
>have a talent or something that other people will try to take away
>from you don't be afraid to use it. If you don't use it, then you have
>nothing. What good is a glow in the dark yo yo if it's buried in
>the garden. none.
I would suggest reading Peter Reich's _A Book of Dreams_, since it's that
book that Kate based her song on.
She said it was the saddest book she ever read; I wouldn't necessarily
say that, but it is incredibly beautiful.
I would also suggest the Writers & Readers series _Reich for
Beginners_, which will give you a pretty good overview of what Wilhelm
was all about.

The yo-yo, according to Wilhelm, had bad orgone energy; like flying saucers,
and certain types of clouds.  The cloudbusting machine not only made rain
by re-arranging energy, it got rid of UFO's and things.  The US government
considered his work dangerous and unfounded.  They did come and cart him
away (just like in the song and video) from Organon, and took him to a federal
prison because he wouldn't stop his experiments or stop selling his orgone
accumulators.  He died in prison.

-lisa
(meriel@stein.u.washington.edu)