Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Earth

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Thu, 13 May 93 09:10 MET DST
Subject: Re: Hello Earth
To: LAECCARD@vaxsar.vassar.edu
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi Laurie,

> I have a burning question that I hope can be answered here:
> We are all familiar with the men's choral passage that appears in KT's
> "Hello Earth", but does anyone know:  is this something composed by KT? and
> if so in what language? or is it an ancient chant?  who sings it?, and why
> does it appear without any credit to the singers?  Also, this same chant
> appears in Herzog's film "Nosferatu" (also without any credit).
> THanks
> -Laurie

Language:  Unknown, even to Kate Bush and some others.

           Maybe something east European
Origin: a) Hello Earth: This one origins in Nosferatu
        b) Nosferatu: Unknown again...
Composer:  Unknown
Singer: a) Hello Earth: The Richard Hickox Singers, directed by Richard

           Hickox arranged for voices by Michael Berkeley
           (look into the HoL credits, it's there)
        b) Nosferatu: I don't know, but definitely some other choir, since
           Kate specifically reproduced the chant from Nosferatu

I hope that helps...

Uli