Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Life's Too Short - From HOMEGROUND

From: jondr@sco.COM
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 93 16:32:42 PDT
Subject: Re: Life's Too Short - From HOMEGROUND
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: jondr@sco.COM

Peter of Homeground writes:

>Why do some of you guys spend so much time throwing bricks at each
>other?

Not much else to do between albums.  *sigh*

>Do you like it or something?

Of course!  Nothing more invigorating than a nice flame war.  Mmmmm.

>Do you think it makes  Kate or Katefans look good?

I don't think it reflects on Kate at all.  I find that most of the
artwork in Homeground is totally antithetical to my personal tastes
and I realize that it has NOTHING to do with Kate.  It has everything
to do with some weird pixillated view that a few lone fans have.
Similarly, anyone who thinks that my arguments detract from Kate's art
(which should stand alone) is a few tacos short of a combo plate, in
my book.

As for Katefans, I don't really care.  I know plenty of people who say
"love kate - hate her fans."  I'm not necessarily in that category,
but again - what do fans have to do with an artist?  If frat boys
start buying up mega-copies of my record, I'll be depressed.  Until
the royalty checks start coming in, that is... :)

>All you do is drive people away from Gaffa,
>and that is not a end to be desired.

If you can't take the heat, etc etc etc...

>Can there not be some standards of debate in this group? The rantings
>in some recent posts have gone beyond the infantile.

So don't read them.

>The recent discussion of Kate's sexuality would distress her immensely
>were she to be aware of it.

It's all hypothetical anyway.  What does she care?  I'd be amused if I
thought people were sitting around trying to guess my sexual
orientation.

>How about some discussion of matters Kateian. Here's a starter. If
>Kate doesn't want to do any promotion for the next album, how is it
>to be promoted? Should it be?

I don't know what Kate's record contract looks like but most contracts
have some sort of specific provision regarding promotion.  I would
guess that she doesn't have any choice in the matter.  Considering
that the record company pays for the cost of the record, they have a
right to demand a return on their investment and if that means that
Kate has to do the interview circuit, then out she goes.

Tough life.  Well, it beats working.

--
Jon Drukman (an emulsifier)                                       jondr@sco.com
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.