Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Magic 105 neurotic denial

From: jorn@chinet.chi.il.us (Jorn Barger)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1993 00:58:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Magic 105 neurotic denial
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jonni d goes incandescent:
> This whole "hard/soft" thing is so utterly ludicrous and infuriatingly
> devoid of even the tiniest smidgen of common sense that it makes me
> want to take an AK-47 and deliver some ruff justice, drukman-style, to
> the entire state of illinois.

very scientific!  squelch the heretic, quick, before these dangerous
ideas infect others!!!

> CDs are written.  Tapes are written.  It just so happens that we have
> the technology to rewrite the information on tapes with relative ease.
> What does your model have to say about MiniDisc?  that's a
> magneto-optical digital format that can be rewritten at will.  what
> about DAT?  it's just like normal compact cassette except it writes
> digital information.  can they store The Vibe?

The idea I'm presenting is that most communications media have an
(unacknowledged) 2-way-street aspect, but the permanence of digital
effectively eliminates this.  If the *gap* between a zero and a one is
broad enough to achieve the *permanence*, it will necessarily be at the
cost of the personal imprint.

> we need specs, jorn!!
> i want to go out and see this following on the back page of my new DAT
> tape deck's manual: "16 bit PCM encoding SP/DIF in-out, frequency
> response: 20Hz-20KHz audio, 15 nano-jorns of vibe at 44KHz sampling
> rate, 10 nano-jorns at 32KHz."

Yeah, someday, maybe.  For analog media, at least, this might be
measurable.  For digital, maybe never.

> what happens if I send out a "negatively charged" DAT to the mastering
> facility and get cassettes *and* CDs made from it?  do the cassettes
> have my "vibe-aura imprint" while the CDs do NOT?

I wish you'd stop mixing the question of the imprint the listener may
leave on an individual tape, and the imprint the artist intentionally
masters. (In the case of your art, the negativity is bred in the bone,
I fear ;^)

I would *not* expect that normal duplication techniques would preserve
the subtle channel I'm speaking of, although in the early days of CDs,
when analog-vs-digital was a livelier issue for debate, I think some
people wanted to argue that analog reproduction techniques definitely
preserved *more* of this subtlety.

> and what about vinyl?  is that a hard or soft medium?  the needle that
> reads the record also has the unfortunate side effect of gouging out
> some of the high frequencies with each play.  but does it ADD PSYCHIC
> VIBES to the vinyl in the process, or is a subtractive-only thing?

it's been so long since I've heard vinyl that I can only guess (where the
tape phenomenon is something I observed just the other day... sorry if my
*experiences* are inferior to your theories ;^), but I would think, yes,
vinyl, if handled with care, will preserve some imprint.  (Anyone?)

> to sum up all these question in a simpler, more compact form: do you
> have even a micro-clue as to what you are talking about?  (a
> nano-clue?  a PICO-CLUE?)

Jonni, I may be wrong about vibes-in-the-tape, but I'm not totally
deluded about vibes-of-any-sort.  Your rage is a symptom of your neurotic
denial, which is an aspect of your personality that's immediately obvious
to anyone who reads your writings or (especially!) hears your aural
butcheries...  You deny vibes because your personal style is centered on
preying on others' good vibes, so a blanket denial serves to mask your
malignancy. (Oops, you say you believe in vibes, some.  When?)

You asked:
> yeah, so what's your point?

The point is to remember that there are sorts of information in your
environment, that are important to staying responsible and kind, that the
common American unwisdom denigrates totally.

And you, my little friend, are part of the problem, just now...