Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Richard Moynes <MOYNES_R%PCSDEV.dnet@eismv3.dofasco.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 18:56:11 EST
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Welcome to Kanadian Korner:

  I've seen Crash Vegas mentioned here before, so I thought I'd put in a plug
for their new album "Stone".  I don't know if it's available elsewhere yet or
not.  (Only in Canada you say?  Pity.)  They're currently in the midst of a
Canadian tour and I saw them for the first time at Lee's Palace in Toronto
Mar. 20.  Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance.  I think
they did all the songs on their new album (not sure, I just picked it up) and
some from "Red Earth", but not "Sky" or "Smoke", the two I had hoped to hear.
After a very energetic set lasting 2 hours or so, they came back and did a few
encores including a cover of VU's "Can't Stand It Any More More" with the
guitarist taking over lead vocals for that one.  What's the new album like?
Well, in an interview Michelle McAdorey said that the new album has a bit
harder edge to it to better reflect the band's live performance, and I'd have
to agree with her.  I hope I don't scare away anyone who liked Red Earth, cuz
it's only a bit harder, not exactly head-banger material.  Same line-up as on
Red Earth, except Jocelyne Lanois has been replaced by Darren Watson on bass.

  In other news, some of you may be happy to learn that kd lang cleaned up at
the Juno awards.  She won album of the year, songwriter of the year (with Ben
Mink) and maybe best production too, but I'm not positive about that one.  I'm
not presently a fan of kd, but I have been catching myself humming "Constant
Craving" lately, so who knows...

  Recent purchases: Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes video (recommended),
Happy Rhodes - Warpaint (recommended), and Sarah McLachlan - Solace (US import
including "Wear Your Love Like Heaven".  $26 for 1 song, but I couldn't just
leave it there for somebody else to buy, could I?).

  Potential future purchases: more Happy Rhodes, The Sundays (I hope my
neighbours like "Wild Horses" cuz they get to hear it whenever it comes on
CFNY), and of course Kate Bush (yeah, right).

Richard

--
Richard Moynes                             Not speaking for
moynes_r@qis.dofasco.ca                    Dofasco Inc., Hamilton, Ont.