Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbag

From: halfen%whipple@cs.wisc.edu
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 93 20:44:51 -0600
Subject: Re: Mailbag
To: Love-Hounds-request@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9303221700.aa12319@rpierre.sco.com> jondr@sco.COM writes:

>recently i went back to my Kate box set as i was doing some research
>for possible samples to take.  in the process, i rediscovered some
>old friends (the dreaming & the ninth wave) and made the discovery
>that i really can't stand most of The Sensual World any more.  title
>track and The Fog were about as much as i could deal with.  i made it
>through 30 seconds of Love & Anger, 5 seconds of Reaching Out, and
>most of Heads We're Dancing.  i kind of nodded off during side two, so
>i really should go back and give it another chance.

Sadly, I have come to feel the same way about this album, although there
are different parts of it that I still really enjoy.  Mostly I just
try to remember the beautiful autumn day when TSW was released in the
US, and how excited I was to get home and listen to it, and how much
I enjoyed it the first 20 or 30 times I listened to it.

>has anyone else gone back and relistened intently to past Kate work to
>see if their reactions have changed at all?

My enjoyment of "The Dreaming" remains as strong as ever--yesterday in
fact, I put this album in the CD player, turned up the volume and enjoyed
my ususal reaction--sheer amazement at the brilliance of the music.
Funny that this was the only Kate album that I didn't like when I first
heard it.  That first time, when I was most of the way through and "Houdini"
started, I breathed a sigh of relief and said to myself, "Finally, a
_normal_ song!" Then Kate went into the refrain, screeching "WITH YOUR
SPIT!!!!!STILL ON MY LIP!!!!!!"etc.  :-)   Fortunatly, after I was done
listening I saw the little statement in the CD booklet that said
"This album was made to be played loud."  In light of Kate's previous
albums, I went back and gave it another listen, at which time I began
to see the light. :-)

Mark Halfen