Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Vegemite Question

From: nudd@zikzak.apana.org.au (Nai Ying Kwok)
Date: 21 Mar 1993 23:45:15 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Vegemite Question
To: rec-music-gaffa@munnari.oz.au
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

s.telford@ed.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:

>In article
><582217190393*/I=GR/G=GRAHAM/S=DOMBKINS/OU=BHPMELMSM/O=BHP/PRMD=BHPMEL04/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/@MHS>,
>GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@BHPMELMSM.BHP.bhpmel04.telememo.au writes:

>> If I remember my history right there was a competition
>> many years ago in Oz to try and come up with a use for all the yest
>> by-product being produced in the manufacture of beer. By the end of it a chap
>> had won by developing this "stuff" that looked like axle greese and tasted of
>> concentrated salt. It was marketed against an English product called Marmite
>> (created from vegitable extract) and call Parwill.

>Actually, according to a real-ale-drinking friend of mine, Marmite is
>(or was) made in the same way, ie. by scooping the dormant yeast
>sludge out of the bottom of beer vats and boiling it up for a few
>days. I think it's made in Burton-on-Trent, where there is/was a lot
>of breweries. Never tried it myself, but I'm told it's an aquired
>taste.

Marmite is actually VERY similar to Vegemite, except only *slightly* less
salty, and mellower in taste.  I prefer it to Vegemite, although most
Australians wouldn't be caught dead near it.

NY

| nudd@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au | "Surrender? That's not defeat for a woman" |
| nudd@zikzak.apana.org.au   |  - Diana Rigg, "The Assassination Bureau"  |