Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Vegemite Question

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1993 17:39:46 GMT
Subject: RE: Vegemite Question
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: UseNet News Admin <cnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk>

In article
<582217190393*/I=GR/G=GRAHAM/S=DOMBKINS/OU=BHPMELMSM/O=BHP/PRMD=BHPMEL04/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/@MHS>,
GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@BHPMELMSM.BHP.bhpmel04.telememo.au writes:

> If I remember my history right there was a competition
> many years ago in Oz to try and come up with a use for all the yest
> by-product being produced in the manufacture of beer. By the end of it a chap
> had won by developing this "stuff" that looked like axle greese and tasted of
> concentrated salt. It was marketed against an English product called Marmite
> (created from vegitable extract) and call Parwill.

Actually, according to a real-ale-drinking friend of mine, Marmite is
(or was) made in the same way, ie. by scooping the dormant yeast
sludge out of the bottom of beer vats and boiling it up for a few
days. I think it's made in Burton-on-Trent, where there is/was a lot
of breweries. Never tried it myself, but I'm told it's an aquired
taste.

ObKate: I wonder if she likes Marmite? 8-)

--
Scott Telford,                            / "Can I assume you're pissed out of
Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre,      /  your head on 'Big Sky', on the new