Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

music in Herzog's NOSFERATU

From: nichols@math.umn.edu (Preston Nichols)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1993 20:59:49 GMT
Subject: music in Herzog's NOSFERATU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news2.cis.umn.edu (Usenet News Administration)

Hello; I'm an admirer of Kate Bush, but not enough of a fan to frequent this
newsgroup, so I'm a visitor, hoping for help from People Who Really Know A Lot
About Kate.

I recently saw Werner Herzog's version of Nosferatu, starring Klaus Kinski as
the vampire, and the music used in one of the late scenes souded familiar.  I
finally dredged an association with Kate Bush from the depths of my memory (
after fending off red herrings connected with Leonard Berstein).  I found the
music in question in Hello Earth, the next-to-last song of The Ninth Wave:  it
was the male choral parts halfway through and at the end of HE.  And sure
enough, Werner Herzog is near the bottom  of the 'Special Thanks' list for HoL.

I had thought that the movie Nosferatu was made several years earlier than HoL,
and from what I can remember, I think the recording/performace used in the
movie is different from that in HE; I could be wrong about either of these
facts.  I do know that at least some of the music in the movie was from
previously existing recordings.

My Questions:
1.  What is this music, and who really wrote it, and when?
2.  Did HoL borrow from the movie, or vice-versa, or what?
3.  What is the relationship between KB and WH?

I will be VERY grateful for any help.  email is best:  nichols@math.umn.edu
but posting is ok too;  I will watch this group for a while, hoping for a
response.

Thanks in advance,
PN