Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: a blast from the past

From: ganzer%opus.nosc.mil@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 23:10:05 PST
Subject: Re: a blast from the past
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: ganzer%opus.nosc.mil@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)

Jees... will wonders never cease. First IED reappears, then Drukman starts
me waxing nostalgic over the good old days in Love-Hounds. Ah for the flame
fests, the Rossi death hoax, the HOURS spent listening to backwards tracks,
the Love-Hounds compilation tapes (whatever did happen to those?), and finally
the Wiscinski (sp?) affair that seemed to finally split Love-Hounds as we knew
it apart. And of course IED made certain that we took our studies of
Kate-Bushology seriously :-)

The most enjoyable part of the group was the breadth of the discussions,
ranging from the art debates to banjos to the Housemartins to Skinny Puppy
and Severed Heads. It encouraged me to try various groups that I never
would have tried before, some I liked others I didn't. What has happened
to this group since then is mainly what has happened to to the rest of
Usenet... factionalization. Now reading Love-Hounds, I know that the
discussion has been sanitized to that of a particular genre of female
alternative/pop artists like Kate, Tori, Jane Siberry, etc. And even then
the Tori fans had to split off into their own mailing list because of
complaints of "too much Tori" in this group.

Not that there hasn't been some positive things happen. It's great to see
the Homeground crew on the net. Ron Hill has taken up much of the slack
in IED's absence. And with no offense intended to the illustrious former
humble pseudo-moderator Doug, we don't have the interminable periods of
silence when Doug was too busy to moderate the group (which led to some
creative workarounds, such as the KTB group...but that's another story).
And although I've not had much to contribute for several years, and
my interests have drifted some, I still stay tuned in here to keep track
of all things Kate.

Now if we can just figure out how to get IED plugged back into the net
on a regular basis...

MarK T. Ganzer
ganzer@nosc.mil