Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: rockworld article/pics

From: paul@actrix.co.at (Paul Gillingwater)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 93 07:40:39 ECT
Subject: Re: rockworld article/pics
To: wisner@uunet.UU.NET

In <9303021137.AA23582@kitz> uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (Ulri
>Hi,

>I've promised to transscribe/late the following article that was presented
>in the German edition of the international 'Rock World' magazine 2-93. Since
>Paul from Vienna has seen the English version I'll wait with my translation
>until he has decided to (or not to) transcribe his already English version.

And here is the English version:

"Well, maybe she was every lorry driver's wet dream, but Kate dictated
her own career moves with a forthright individuality that was almost
unheard of for a man or a woman and took her way beyond the realms
of established sexual (and sexist) values.  In interviews she played
the coy little-girl-lost scenario with disarming conviction, but put
her in front of a camera and she plays the man-eater with stunning
panache.  Her performance with a cello on 'Army Dreamers' is alone
enough to put her in the frame as the most sexual, if subtle, British
female star of them all.  She realised that video provided the ideal
vehicle for her rampant fantasies and, apart from one astonishingly
ambitious tour early on, has constantly avoided the limitations of
live performance.  This in itself set her apart from most other
women artists and the inordinate care, expense and length of time
she takes on albums leave no doubt that it is she who's called
all the shots every inch of the way."

by Colin Irwin, Rock World Issue 2/Vol 2 (Feb 1993), p.17.

Factual question: I suspect the cello is from Baboushka.  And I
don't agree with the first statement!