Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

<None>

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 19 Feb 93 15:21:59 EST
Subject: <None>
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

>  This is a great song by a great band called the Replacements.  They
are
>  now defunct but were from Minneapolis and fronted by Paul Westerberg.
>  "I'll Be You" is one of their more "pop" offerings, and it is more
>   about two PEOPLE switching places than making "a deal with God".
>
>       Tim

Close, but no cigar.  As I understand it, RUTH is *exactly* about
two PEOPLE swapping places.  To wit: "If I only could make a deal
with God and get him to swap our places," i.e. swap the places
of the 2 people in the song.  Or, to paraphrase,
you be me for a day, and I'll be you.

If what you meant is that the God element is missing from the Mats
song, well, yes I suppose that is true.  (That was a pretty wild
coincidence, ay?  considering the poster did not know who the song
was by!)

-mjm