Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #9.28

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 93 20:57:17 EST
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #9.28
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I'd like to make a public apology for a private letter I sent Richard Caley.
I too *completely* misunderstood Richard's point-of-view, in both of
his posts about it. Passions have been running very high on this issue
and I'm sorry I added to it here in gaffa.

Still, Richard, you did *not* make yourself clear. When you said "out-and
probably shake it all about" you probably didn't realize that you were
echoing every bigot in America who called into talk shows and wrote letters
to the editors. Their main objections were that once gays were "out" in
the military that they would prance around ("shake it all about") and make
passes at every red-blooded macho hetro in sight. In essence that they would
make a mockery of the Military. Other sentiments expressed concerened
Clinton being pressured by "special interest groups" (gays) and why change
a "proud tradition" because of it? That's why your second letter hit a raw
nerve too. (And of course, because of your first one, I was looking at it
in the opposite direction as you meant it.)

Well, *now* I understand what you meant with both posts, but it's too
late to take back the e-mail I sent you calling you a bigot. All I can
do is apologise for it.

>And _that's_ a more important point. Yelling `bigot' at people
>suspected of being mistaken in their opinions does about as much good
>for Gay rights as the average speech by Jessie Helms. I don't like
>witch hunting, especially in a good cause.

If you understand how and why I misinterpreted your posts, then perhaps
you'll forgive me. I will admit that it is a very touchy subject for me.
Most of my friends are gay, and it worries me that violence and harrassment
against gays is on the rise. Laws are even being passed (Colorado's
Amendment 2) that allows discrimination against homosexuals specifically.
The Religious Right in America have declared war on gays, lesbians and
bisexuals and are going to try and get similar laws passed in other
states. It's scary.

Clinton *did* cave in to the opposition against lifting the ban, and I'm
not happy about it either, so we're in agreement all the way around.
We'll see what happens in 6 months. I'm optimistic that he will keep
his word and will lift the ban, but we'll see.

This is the last I'll write on this thread too. I think everything is
clear now, and I'm sorry I flew off the handle.

Vickie