Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Astrology (eep)

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1993 03:23:48 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Astrology (eep)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1993 08:40:10 GMT

In article <9301151913.AA15021@whistler.sfu.ca> Fiona_McQuarrie@sfu.ca writes:

>>   You may rest assured that what Ron quoted was every single word that
>>Kate has had to say on the subject in hundreds of interviews. Very
>>little to base your claim of her deep influence on your own beliefs.
>
>Who died and made you the expert on how someone else's beliefs were formed,
>or the influences on someone else's feelings? Come on, cut the guy some
>slack.

   Loren claimed that Kate's "beliefs" were a major influence on his or
her (sorry, Loren is an ambisexual name like Chris) beliefs. I admit to
being hard on his/her belief in astrology, but mainly on the presumption
that Kate shared those beliefs based on *very* little evidence. She hasn't
said 500 words on the subject; far from enough to cite as a major influence.

   I am *not* pretending to arbitrate acceptable KateFan beliefs, but this
is read by a number of people on an irregular basis. I wouldn't want
anyone to get the impression that Kate believed a particular thing based
on one person's desire that Kate believe it. Getting a straight answer out
of Kate is hard enough, without folks projecting their own beliefs onto
her. I just felt the need to make the facts about how little we truely
know about Kate's belief systems clear.

   For instance; Kate has on several occasions mentioned "friends from
the Hare Krishna Temple." Are we to jump to the conclusion that Kate was
thinking about giving up all her worldly posessions, donning saffron robes
and hopping around the streets of London chanting? Or that she simply wanted
to trade vegatarian recipes?

  I cannot recall ever seeing Kate mention having a personal astrologer
(though she is wealthy enough to attract such charlatains). I don't
recall Fred Vermoral, Paul Kerton or Kerry Juby mentioning it. I don't
think Fred would miss a thing like that considering how much he searched
for that sort of "flakey" stuff to support the thesis of his first book.
It would have fit the "airy-fairy" image he was trying to build to a "t".

  So, Loren is perfectly welcome to belief *whatever* he or she believes.
I just want to make sure that it's clear that Kate doesn't necessarily
share them.

                                     Chris Williams of
                                        Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago (M'n'F)
                                           katefans@chinet.chi.il.us