Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy Rhodes Review

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Scorpii)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 93 16:55:28 GMT
Subject: Happy Rhodes Review
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

I know this belongs on an Ecto-World, but since I promised to bring it
here...

HAPPY RHODES--Warpaint

I opted for a song-by-song annotation rather than a cohesive review.  I'm
perfectly willing to discuss anything I mention in here, but do keep in mind
that this "review" is in fact a subjective evaluation, and is intended to
represent my personal feelings before any objective critical opinion.

1. Waking Up

	One of my least favorite tracks on the album, which still means I
like it a lot.  I just found that the conspicuous absence of the Schnopic BITE
lessened my enjoyment of this song.  Also, the lyrics didn't speak to me as
the others did.

2. Feed The Fire

	Terrific stuff.  Every singer wants to sing this song just once, in
tribute.  I liked the imagery: trees, fire, thunder.  Very elemental, and
eminently appropriate.

3. Murder

	I liked this song musically, but have problems with the lyrics.
First of all, they don't quite communicate as well as the other
songs--much less expressive.  Happy seems, to my limited knowledge, to have
a knack for making a clear understandable lyric while still making that
lyric poetic and mystical.  I think this lyric fell short of the first
characteristic.  Also, I think the lyric is just plain mistaken that the
urge to kill is an unnatural or base one...it's really just a part of nature
that at least one life must end to sustain another, at least in the animal
kingdom.  It may not be an attractive part of human nature, but it's a
normal one.

4. To Live In Your World

	I'm not overly fond of this song either.  Again, I think the lyrics
are to blame.  This time, they lack completeness somehow.  In other words,
she didn't convince me of her point (regardless of whether I agreed with her
in the first place).

5. Phobos

	I loved this song, even though I'm not entirely sure I understand
it.  It's partly the astronomy, of course; anything to do with stars
fascinates me.

6. Wrong Century

	This could possibly be my favorite song.  The emotion--that of
living too late, of not belonging to modern times--is one which I constantly
experience.

7. Lay Me Down

	This could also be my favorite song from the album.  Musically
wonderful--it gives me chills.  Lyrically it's also very affecting.
Ophelia, anyone?

8. Terra Incognita

	I like this one a lot.  One of the most Schnopic of the bunch.

9. All Things (Mia ia io)

	I love the lyrics, but the music lacks BITE again.

10. Words Weren't Made For Cowards

	Very satisfying.  Even the line "walking toast" is convincing and
sounds right.

11. Warpaint

	Fantastic stuff.  Great to sing.

12. In Hiding

	Beautiful.  Great ending.

Hmmm, all in all a lame "review," but no harm done, jolly good luck.

As you can see, my normal style is turned off today, and probably will be
until I go to class tomorrow and have to think again.  In any case, I love
the album, and I now have a question:

Where/how can I get the other albums?

Drewcifer
** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******