Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Miranda Sex Garden, _Iris_ et. al. (~80 lines)

From: Chris Conlon <conlonc@mail.tva.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 12:10:32 EST
Subject: Miranda Sex Garden, _Iris_ et. al. (~80 lines)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Thanks to everyone with Miranda Sex Garden info, I got my questions
answered. (Although I found some new ones to ask.) Some responses:

Graham Dombkins writes:

>    Yep, I'm another Miranda Sex Garden fan. I only new them from the few
>video's I ever got to see of them on light night Rage (a music video program

Your TV will actually *play* good stuff like MSG? Wow... eMpTyV totally let me
down on this score, even 120 Minutes. (what *was* I thinking?)

>here in Oz). I've always loved _Gush_Forth_my_Tears_, now you say there's a CD
>single that I missed! Please give me info on it so I can try and chase it up.

Well, I have the US version CD single here. I don't know which #'s matter,
so I'll go overboard. On the disc it says (p) 1991 Mute Records Ltd.,
66497-2. It also says "Made in USA by WEA manufacturing" and "A Time
Warner company...". Maybe WEA does US distribution of Mute material, like
4AD and reprise.  On the case the disc # is 9 66497-2, I guess they had a
buncha spare 9's that day.  By way of comparison, the liner notes say that
_Madra_ is # 61126. Good luck.

>As for what CD's I do have. Well I seached for ages and found -nothing- until
>Iris turned up. That was my sole MSG (sounds like a food additive ;-) CD I
>owned for months (nice CD too, get it if you can). Then about Novemeber last
>year my sister found Madra (?? I think that's its name I can't really remember
>it at the moment) and bought it for me !! :-) It was lovely BUT be warned the
>differences between these two CD's are GREAT. Madra is solely beautiful
>harmonies in a kind of a-cappella style while Iris has those voices hidden in
>back of some, at times, loud musical accompaniment.

Many thanks to Graham and Shaun (comments below) for the mini-reviews and
the warnings; I do like _Madra_, but I was kind of hoping they'd add some
instruments (only a few) in there. Maybe they added too many, but I have
enough info to risk the $$$ now.

shaun@iris.mincom.oz.au (Man in Polyester Suit) wrote:

>I found the Iris EP very disappointing.  The inclusion of a couple of
>instruments made it sound more like a second rate Steeleye Span than
>anything in the IMHO more interesting Dead Can Dance vein that they had
>hitherto been exploring.

>But we are all subject to mood swings.

Some further excitement:

vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes) writes:

>I like the dance remix of Gush better than the album version, but then,
>I can only take acapella madrigals in very small doses (note: that does

I feel likewise about madrigals. I like 'em, but too much is too much.
Which makes me wonder a bit. With other music I like, 2-4 nonstop hours is
no problem.  Why is it that only madrigals get tiresome? Any clues?

>not mean I don't like Madra, it's just that I'm rarely in the mood to
>listen to it for pleasure.) I have Iris, but I just haven't had a chance
>to listen to it properly yet.

>The video to Gush Forth my Tears is *lovely*. It's the dance remix

Actually, the way I got intro'ed to MSG was 15 seconds of the video
(that's all they played) on 120 Minutes. My ears said: (1) Get your
wallet. (2) Go to Tower Records *right now*. (3) Purchase. I complied, and
lived happily ever after.
And now I wonder, is the video available anywhere?

>too, which is nice. I'm looking forward to the next album, which is
>supposed to be more like the remix than Madra.

Is there another album on the way? (After _Iris_?) Would be nice...

Anyway, thanks to all for the overwhelming && informative responses.

  Chris Conlon