Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Get Out Of My House Annotated lryics PART III ****

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 22:37:29 PST
Subject: *** Get Out Of My House Annotated lryics PART III ****
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        I FIND THE USE OF STRONG SYMBOLISM AND METAPHOR AND ALLUSIONS
IN YOUR LYRICS TO BE EXTREMELY INTERESTING.  FOR EXAMPLE, IN "GET OUT
OF MY HOUSE," THE WOMAN WHO IS SINGING THE SONG HAS BEEN LEFT BY HER
LOVER AND FEELS HURT, AND IDENTIFIES HERSELF WITH A HOUSE.  THIS IS A
BIBLICAL ALLUSION.  WHEN SHE SAYS "I WASH THE PANES", IT IS A TRIPLE
ENTENDRE, BECAUSE SHE'S SAYING SHE'S WASHING THE WINDOWS OF HER BODY,
WHICH ARE THE EYES.  THIS MEANS SHE'S CRYING, AND BY DOING SO, SHE'S
WASHING THE HURT AND PAIN AWAY.  THEN SHE SAYS "NO STRANGER'S FEET WILL
ENTER ME" SAYING THAT SHE WON'T LET ANYONE INTO HER HOUSE, WHICH IS
SAYING SHE WON'T LET ANYONE INTO HER BODY, WHICH IS ALSO REINFORCED BY
THE BIBLICAL USE OF "FEET" AS A EUPHEMISM FOR "PRIVATE PARTS".  THE
LAYERS OF MEANING HERE, ARE PRETTY INCREDIBLE.
        THEN A MAN TRIES TO ENTER HER LIFE AGAIN, BUT SHE'S TOO SCARED,
AND SHE TRIES TO ESCAPE BY FLYING AWAY, BUT HE TURNS INTO THE WIND.
SHE THEN TURNS INTO A MULE, PERHAPS FOR ITS STUBBORN ABILITY TO
WITHSTAND THE WIND.  AND THEN HE ALSO TURNS INTO A MULE.  NOW IT SEEMS
THAT THEY HAVE A GROUND FOR COMMUNICATION.  BECAUSE MULES ARE NEUTER,
AND THEY CAN COMMUNICATE ON A PLATONIC LEVEL RATHER THAN A SEXUAL
LEVEL.
        NOW A FRIEND OF MINE BELIEVES THAT THIS LAST PART IS A FLAW IN
THE SONG, BECAUSE MULES ARE NOT REALLY NEUTER AFTER ALL.  THEY ARE ONLY
STERILE.  PERSONALLY, I THINK IT ISN'T A FLAW BECAUSE THE IDEA COMES
ACROSS LOUD AND CLEAR TO ME, AND SOMEHOW IT SEEMS THAT "I CHANGE INTO
THE AMOEBA: OOZE! OOZE!" JUST WOULDN'T WORK SO WELL.  SO THE QUESTION
IS, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS INTERPRETATION? AND COULD YOU RESPOND TO
MY FRIEND'S SLIGHT CRITICISM?
        And what was your friend's criticism?
        HE SAID THAT THE ENDING IS A FLAW BECAUSE MULES ARE NOT REALLY
NEUTER, THEY ARE ONLY STERILE.
        What does he mean?
        WELL, IT SEEMS TO ME - AND TO HIM - THAT THE END OF THE SONG IS
SORT OF A POSITIVE NOTE BECAUSE THEY'VE FOUND A GROUNDS FOR
COMMUNICATION.  AND SORT OF ON A PLATONIC LEVEL, BECAUSE MULES MIGHT BE
SEEN AS BEING PLATONIC, BECAUSE...
        Why?
        OH... WELL... MULES ARE STERILE... UH... A DONKEY AND A
HORSE... YOU KNOW... HAVE A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP, AND THEN THEY HAVE
MULES, AND MULES DON'T HAVE CHILDREN, BUT THEY REALLY CAN HAVE SEX.
THEY JUST CAN'T HAVE CHILDREN, BUT A LOT OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THAT
THEY JUST DON'T HAVE SEX.  WHICH ISN'T REALLY TRUE.
        Right!  Well, um... I think you... It's kind of weird the level
of interpretation that you are reading into things, because... I mean,
a mule - in our country - all it represents is a stupid animal.  They
are considered stupid and that's the allusion that was being used in
that case.  And it's very much a play on a traditional song called The
Two Magicians about someone who's trying to escape someone, and they
keep changing their form in order to escape them.  But the other thing
keeps changing its form.  And that's actually what the whole song is
about - someone who is running away from something they don't want to
face, but wherever they go, the thing will follow them.  Basically, you
can't run away from things - you've got to confront things.  And it's
using the person as the imagery of a house, where they won't let anyone
in, they lock all the doors and windows, and put a guard on the front
door.  But I think the essence of the song is about someone trying to
run away from things they don't like and not being able to escape -
because you can't.
        BUT IF THE SYMBOL OF MULES IS JUST STUPIDITY, AT THE END, THEN
IT WOULD SEEM LIKE IT WOULD BE A NEGATIVE ENDING, AND IT JUST SORT OF
SEEMS TO ME, MOST OF YOUR SONGS...A LOT OF THEM...END ON UP NOTES.  AND
IT SORT OF SEEMED LIKE IT WAS A POSITIVE NOTE AT THE END.
        Yes, I think the mule is that kind of... the stupid
confrontation...  I mean, there's not really that much to read into it.
 It was the idea of playing around with changing shape, and the mule
imagery was something I liked inordinately.  The whole thing of this
wild, stupid, mad creature just turning around and going, you know,
"Eeyore! Eeyore!" [KATE MAKES CONVINCING EEYORE SOUNDS.] I don't know
if you saw Pinocchio, but there's an incredibly heavy scene in there,
where one of the little boys turns into a donkey - a mule.  And it's
very heavy stuff.
        I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT SINCE ABOUT SIX, BUT I THINK I REMEMBER
THAT...IT'S A STRONG IMAGE.
        Well, maybe you should see it again.  It's a good film.
(1985, Love-Hounds)

*       DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE KATE BUSH SONG?
        PADDY: For me.  Yes, yes...it's "Get Out Of My House", really,
was my favorite track.  I think if Alfred Hitchcock ever made hit
singles [LAUGHTER FROM AUDIENCE]... And I love it, I love the energy
that it deals with.  It's fantastic.  And Paul Hardiman's vocals on the
very beginning of it I think are, to me, one of the most fantastic
things thats ever been recorded.  I used to go into fits of extascy
when we listened to the multi-track tapes of that and those opening
"Eoyores"...  I love that track.   (1985, Kate Bush Con. Paddy and Jay
Interview)

THE TWA MAGICIANS

        KATE: And it's very much a play on a traditional song called
The Two Magicians about someone who's trying to escape someone, and
they keep changing their form in order to escape them.

    _The_Twa_(read Two)_Magicians_ is an old English (and Irish and
Scottish and just about every country in Europe, too) ballad in which a
young maiden is wooed by a young man. In the original the girl
threatens to change form (in some versions the boy does all the
hypothesizing), from human to animal or vegetable. The boy always
responds by promising to takethe form of a compatible or superior
animal or vegetable.
     Kate merely borrowed the general idea. Her specific images of
bird-to-wind, the "song's hit," and the mules are all unprecedented,
however, at least to judge from the dozen or more versions of the
original that IED has come across recently. Musically, there's no
connection, either, as far as this listener can tell.
        Following is a transcription of the lyrics to an old Irish
version of _The_Twa_Magicians_. Actually, with all the variants all
over Europe, its English and Irish versions are not the earliest. The
following version is the one that Kate probably learned as a child,
since it is the work of A. L. "Burt" Lloyd, one of the fathers of the
English and Irish folkmusic revival of our century, and a great
favourite of Kate's.  IED transcribed as well as he could from the
recording of the song by Martin Carthy (the album, which also includes
an a cappella rendition of "The Handsome Cabin Boy", is called
_Martin_Carthy_with_Dave_Swarbrick_, on Topic, 12 TS 340 -- 1977).

_The_Twa_Magicians_

A lady sits in her own front door
As straight as a willow wand,
And by there come a lusty smith
With a hammer in his hand, and he said

     Bide, lady, bide,
     There's nowhere you can hide,
     For the lusty smith will be your love
     And he will lay your pride.

"Well may stand you, lady fair
All in your robe of red,
But come tomorrow at this same time
I'll have you in me bed," and he said

     Bide, lady, bide,
     There's nowhere you can hide,
     For the lusty smith will be your love
     And he will lay your pride.

"Away, away, you coal-blacksmith,
Would you do me this wrong?
To think to have me maidenhead
That I have kept so long!

"I'd rather I was dead and cold
And my body laid in my grave,
Than a husky, dusky coal-blacksmith
Me maidenhead should have!"

So the lady she held up her hand,
And she swore upon her soul,
That she'd not be the blacksmith's love
For all of a box of gold.

But the blacksmith he held up his hand
And he swore upon the Mass,
Saying "I'll have you in me bed, young girl,
For the half of -------------  (unintelligible).

     Bide, lady, bide,
     There's nowhere you can hide,
     For the lusty smith will be your love