Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT's birth data

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 93 00:44 CST
Subject: Re: KT's birth data
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu

Subject: KT's birth data

lorenmo@microsoft.COM asked:
>>> I have a question about Kate. Does anybody know the exact day/time of her
>>> birth? I'd also like to know where. In light of the astrological version
>>>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> of the KT symbol, I am very curious about her Natal chart. From the data
>>> in the FAQ, I can surmize that she's a Leo (hence, Lionhart, I suppose).
>>> But, I would like to know as much as possible about her.

and I answered:
>>     Do you mean the _This Woman's Work_ symbol? We usually think of that
>> as the KT/Fem symbol. It seems more likely that the circle and cross is
>> intended to represent "female" rather than specifically "Venus".

and he (or she) replied:
> Well, then why is it 'specifically' mentioned to be "integrating the
> _astrological_ symbol for Venus" in the FAQ. I suppose the person who
> prepares the FAQ knows what they are talking about. Venus is the goddess
> of Love. And in astrology, Venus is the ruler of love, affection, art.
> Sounds like a good type for KT.

  Well...the FAQ is currently maintained by Ron Hill, but the original was
written by our good friend Jorn Barger. I'll ask him, but he usually defers
to us on matters of deep Kate arcania.

>>     The time of birth is not noted on her birth certificate. Please note
>> that I mention this purely in the interest of showing off. I believe
>> astrology is a load of dingo's kidneys.

> Not to flame, (or anything like that), but, should a TRUE-KATE-FAN be so
> close minded?

  Not to *FLAME*?!?! Call me closed minded and I'll call that a flame. Take
responsibility for your actions, rather than "wishing upon the stars." You
started this.

  OK, first off, you seem to be asking a retorical question; "Are you a true
Kate Fan, or are you closed minded." Well, to the first part, I (and my
partner Vickie) am a *definitive* "TRUE-KATE-FAN"...let's see...I suppose
you want a quick biography to check my credentials...ok...

  In 1979 I saw Kate on Saturday Night Live and purchased _The Kick Inside_
the very next day. Things were kinda quiet for several years, and I sometimes
felt that I was the only Kate Bush fan in North America. Then I met Vickie
Mapes in 1982 and things picked up quite a bit on the Kate-Fan front. Vickie
and I met Dale Sommerville via an ad in Trouser Press advertising his new
North American "fanzine" and contributed a bit to _Break-Through_.
In 1984 Dale wanted to do something really special, and Vickie suggested
a convention. BushCon'84 was not a financial success, but quite a few fans
came from all across Canada and America and watched up to 18 hours of Kate
video presented by myself. After returning home I began to learn video
editing and created a video to _The Infant Kiss_ by editing together scenes
from the film that inspired it, _The Innocents_. I sent the video to Kate
via a friend of her brother John, and Kate liked it enough to call me to
tell me so. We traveled to New York to meet Kate's plane when she came here
to promote _Hounds of Love_ and were able to attend the _Night Flight_
interview taping. After the release of _The Sensual World_ we gained access
to the Net via Joe Turner. In 1990 we traveled to London for the Convention.
For the past five years Vickie has had a radio show called "Suspended In
Gaffa" and has been a fan since 1981.

  So, do you think we qualify as "TRUE-KATE-FANS"?

  As to my being "closed minded"...there is a difference between being a
Fan and being a syncophant.

>   She seems to believe many mystical things. Kate was a major
> influence upon my own journey into alternative mystical beliefs. Take, for
> instance, the song 'Strange Phenomena', where she sings "Om mani Padme Hum".

   She has explored a great many silly things, astrology being one.
What her level of belief is, is questionable. She said: "I believe it's
a very old science..." (this may not be exact. Ron?)

  Kate believing in something has *nothing* to do with my beliving in that
thing. Kate may have introduced me to some concepts, but the idea of believing
in something just because *she* believes it is, at best, pathetic.

  If Kate were to ask me if I believed in astrology, I would tell her no.
  If she asked why, I would tell her why.

  I have infinite respect for Kate as an artist, but Kate Bush is *not* known
as a philosopher.

  For instance, Kate smokes. Does this mean I should smoke John Player
Specials just because she does? That's silly! I think smoking is mind-
bogglingly stupid (and Vickie smokes.) Should I be open minded about the
the tobacco industry's position that "nothing has been proven"?

> Just the fact that she's a Leo is significant (roars forth like a
> lion; needs to be on stage).

  Uh...how many Kate interviews have you seen? You would be hard-pressed
to find a quieter, more self-effacing person at her level of fame.

   Uh...are you aware *how* long it has been since she has fulfilled this
burning need to be on stage? She hasn't toured in over a decade.

> but hey, thanks for playing! and for being such a good sport, your concession
> prize is: The complete works of Barry Manilow (volumes 1-10).

  Prat.

> daemien

                               Chris Williams of
                               Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago