Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Get Out Of My House Annotated lryics PART II ***

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 22:29:57 PST
Subject: *** Get Out Of My House Annotated lryics PART II ***
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        KATE: The track kept changing in the studio.  This is something
that's never happened before on an album.  That one was maybe half the
length it is now.  The guitarist got this really nice riff going, and I
got this idea of two voices - a person in the house, trying to get away
from this thing, but it's still there.  (1982, ZigZag)

 I will not let you in!
 Don't you bring back the reveries.
 I turn into a bird,
 Carry further than the word is heard.

        KATE: So in order to get away, they change their form - first
into a bird trying to fly away from it.   (1982, ZigZag)

 "Woman let me in!
  I turn into the wind.
  I blow you a cold kiss,
  Stronger than the song's hit."

        KATE: The thing can change as well, so that changes into this
wind, and starts blowing all icy.  (1982, ZigZag)

        Possibly the "song hit" is the bird's "song" so this line would
be saying "my wind is stronger then your song.", although there is no
other evidence that the "bird" sings any song in the song.

 I will not let you in.
 I face towards the wind.
 I change into the Mule.
     "I change into the Mule."

 Hee-haw! Hee-haw! Hee-haw-hee-haw-hee-haw-hee-haw...

      "Hee-haw! Hee-haw! Hee-haw!"

        KATE: The idea is to turn around and face it.  You've got this
image of something turning round and going "Aah!" just to try and scare
it away.   (1982, ZigZag)

        KATE: You're cornered, there's no way out, so you turn into a
bird and fly away, but the thing changes shape, too.  You change, it
changes; you can't escape, so you turn around and face it, scare it
away.
        "Hee Haw"
        "Hee Haw"
        "Hee Haw"   (1982, KBC 12)

        KATE: I think the mule is that kind of... the stupid
confrontation...  I mean, there's not really that much to read into it.
 It was the idea of playing around with changing shape, and the mule
imagery was something I liked inordinately.  The whole thing of this
wild, stupid, mad creature just turning around and going, you know,
"Eeyore! Eeyore!" [KATE MAKES CONVINCING EEYORE SOUNDS.] I don't know
if you saw Pinocchio, but there's an incredibly heavy scene in there,
where one of the little boys turns into a donkey - a mule.  And it's
very heavy stuff.
        I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT SINCE ABOUT SIX, BUT I THINK I REMEMBER
THAT...IT'S A STRONG IMAGE.
        Well, maybe you should see it again.  It's a good film.
(1985, Love-Hounds)

        Although Kate has never specifically mentioned the male in the
song also turning into a mule, there appears to be two seperate "mules"
at the end, which would indicate that he did so, especially since the
second mule has a male "voice", credited to Paul Hardiman.

        The reason that Kate made the choice of the mule, may be
explained by her description of it above as a "stupid" animal . Its
actions, in other words, are "thought-less": prompted by the crudest
form of emotional stimuli or instincts. Kate has more than once
insisted that music (art) is "pure emotion"--especially in the Russell
Harty interview. When Harty patronizingly says "We've been to
Bronte-land...Where will the arrow of your powerful intellect fall
next?" Kate's immediate and strong reply is: "Well, I think the answer
to that is that art is _emotion_. Art is pure emotion..." Her reply has
always seemed to IED to represent an implied preference for the value
of emotion over the intellect.  If so, the choice of the "stupid" mule
as the guise in which the heroine of _GOoMH_ finally faces her
"problem" makes excellent sense.
        Also, of course, Kate may have been thinking of the expression
"stubborn as a mule", which describes the character she was singing
about perfectly.

 Dha Dhin Dha Dha Dha/Dha Dha Dha Dhin Dha Dha/Dha Dkin Dha Dha
 [Repeats to fade out]

        This is credited as "drum talk" to Esmail Sheikh.  (Whether or
not the above transcription is entirely correct is unclear).  This is
from East Indian Classical music and is called bol.  The process of
studying drumming in this form of music involves both learning to speak
drumming patterns in bols and learning to play the patterns.  Whether
or not this symbolizes anything that may have a direct relationship to
the theme of Kate's song is unclear.

CONCLUSIONS

        KATE: And that's actually what the whole song is about -
someone who is running away from something they don't want to face, but
wherever they go, the thing will follow them.  Basically, you can't run
away from things - you've got to confront things.  And it's using the
person as the imagery of a house, where they won't let anyone in, they
lock all the doors and windows, and put a guard on the front door.  But
I think the essence of the song is about someone trying to run away
from things they don't like and not being able to escape - because you
can't.  (1985, Love-Hounds)

        The quote from Kate describes the "point" or "moral" of the
song (note how this seems to lead right into Running Up That Hill, the
first song on the next album).  But does the song have a positive or
negative ending?  There are several points of view.

        1) The "happy" ending.  That the man and woman seemed to have
found something in common in their muleness and sang to each other.
The "drum talk" at the end could represent some kind of morse-code,
meaning that they have found another way to communicate now that the
primary channels have broken down.
        However, many people find the whole song, including the ending,
to be too jarring to be describing something "happy".

        2) The "unhappy" ending.  In this interpetation, the characters
in this song don't end up communicating.  This would be reflected in
the song by the extented "mumbling-like" sounds at the end of the song,
representing the total breakdown of communications between the two.
        This would mean that the ending of the song was intended as a
kind of negative warning about what could happen when you "lock"
yourself up so tightly.

        2) The "hopeful" ending.  In this interpetation,  the ending
_does_ indeed contain the "some sort of hope in there" that Kate said
(of _The_Ninth_Wave_) she feels should be part of all works of art. In
the above quote, Kate was says that the theme of the song was the error
people can make of running away from their problems, and that the only
way to solve problems is to confront them. She also explains that when
the female character in _Get_Out_of_My_House_ changes into a mule
(whether a stubborn one or a stupid one), she _does_ finally turn and
confront the male character (who has changed into a mule as well).
This is the quintessential Kate Bush "ending"--sad but hopeful, very
much
like the ending of _The_Ninth_Wave_. In both, the protagonist has come
to a new realization of the "right way" to proceed/feel/think, and is
therefore able better to resign herself to _whatever_ fate might befall
her, whether that fate be "happy" or not. And this, of course, is an
essential element of Kate's own avowed philosophy, described by her in
numerous interviews.
     So we do not learn what actually happens when the two mules
confront each other in _GOoMH_; nor is it important. What is important
is that the  protagonist has finally been able to confront the force
which threatens her--she is no longer running from it. In a similar way
the heroine of _The_Ninth_Wave_, in the final bars of
_The_Morning_Fog_, has found reasons for living: whether she will
actually survive the physical ordeal or not, she has at least gained a
new appreciation of the important aspects of her life (love of family;
and faith in the human spirit, so to speak, as represented by her
"future self" in _Jig_of_Life_). It's therefore extremely important,
IED believes, that both _The_Dreaming_ and _Hounds_of_Love_, as albums,
conclude with the
same basic situation. In both, the ultimate "fate" of the protagonist
is not resolved, because that is not the artist's concern. Rather, it
is the insight that those protagonists gain along the way that matters.

OTHER QUOTES

        It should be noted that the above quotes have been re-arranged
in such a way that there meaning may have been somewhat distorted.  In
other words, the quotes may not actually relate to the lryics they are
put next to.
        Following is the remaining quotes relating to the song.

        I TELL KATE THAT THE SPACE BETWEEN MY EARS FELT LIKE PALE JELLY
AFTER FIRST EXPOSURE TO THIS ONE ON THE WALKMAN.  SHE IS PLEASED!
        Oh, good! It's meant to be a bit scary.  It's just the idea of
someone being in this place and there's something else there...  You
don't know what it is.  (1982, ZigZag)

*       I SUPPOSE IN TERMS OF GENERAL IDEAS, KATE, MAYBE WE COULD TALK
A LITTLE ABOUT THAT.  JUST WHERE YOU PLUCK THESE IDEAS FROM, IS THIS
SOMETHING THAT OCCURS TO YOU IN EVERY DAY LIFE OR DO YOU DISCIPLINE
YOURSELF TO SIT DOWN AND THINK ABOUT THINGS?
        They're very often ideas that come out of other people's
creations.  Films and books are very much big inspirations to me.  For
instance, there's a track on this album that was...  really the whole
atmosphere was inspired by The Shining.  I read the book and it was
such an incredibly strong atmosphere, very creepy, very haunted, and I
used it to like set a song using the same atmosphere, but instead of it
being a hotel it being like a house, which is also a human being.  And
just playing with the feelings that I got when I read the book and
trying to put that same kind and strangeness into the song.   (1982,
Dreaming debut)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA