Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: THe Video Story

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 08:00:46 GMT
Subject: Re: THe Video Story
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@wakinyan.uchicago.edu (News System)

In article <9301052303.AA28253@fraser.sfu.ca> fmcquarr@sfu.ca writes:

>1) WHo is the male dancer in "Running Up THat Hill"? And what else has
>he done?

   Michael Hervieu. We have no idea what other work he has done, but the
dancers from the tour and early videos appeared in a number of British
variety shows. BTW, is there some sort of law in the UK that every show
must have some pointless musical number? I mean, the Alexi Sayle show
had a musical number every week! And Alexi is *not* a singer...

>2) Who is Keef, who directed the first few videos (Wuthering Heights, etc.)?
>What else has *he* done? Is it true that he is Keith Richards? (no, that one
>I know the answer to - just joking)

  Keith (Keef) MacMillen directed a large number of videos for Kate and other
artists in the early 80s. He did the "Hammersmith" video, and that may
have had something to do with Kate's finding another director. Ever
wonder *why* a three-hour show was edited down to a one hour tape?
Answer: The taping was screwed up. The stuff on the video was almost all
the usable footage. It is a shame that the Hammersmith show was the only
one filmed in it entirity. It was tacked onto the very end of the tour,
and Kate's voice is noticably weaker than earlier concerts, and her
hair, nice looking at the begining of the tour was fried by the H-O
show.

>3) At the start of "Man with the CHild in HIs eyes", when Kate B. is lying
>on the floor with her hair fanned out and the light coming from below,
>there are voices whispering "He's here, he's here, he's here". These
>voices aren't in the "man" video on The Single File, nor on the record.
>Was a version of the record released with this addition? Or was this
>just for the video?

  "He's here..." was on the original single release of TMWTC. The videos
tend to have the single mix of the song, if different than the album.
I'm fairly sure that the "...Emily..." whisper from of _Wow_ was on the
single release, but not on the album.

  A couple of months ago someone asked about the version of _Sat in Your
Lap_ on the video. I checked, but went out of town before I had a chance
to post; The original airings of SiYL had the single mix, but the album
mix was re-dubbed onto the video for the "Single File" and every other
compilation.

                                    Chris Williams
                                    of Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                    chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu