Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

NYC, Happy etc.

From: dpc2@po.CWRU.Edu (David P. Caldwell)
Date: 6 Jan 1993 15:14:52 GMT
Subject: NYC, Happy etc.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

     Hi all, I have just returned from my New Year's sojourn to New York
City.  Thanks to all that replied to my query about record shops; I found a
lot of neat ones though I didn't get to explore quite as much as I would've
liked (for one thing, I was with other people, for another, I was
moderately-to-completely lost much of the time).

     I _did_ manage to find yet another source for Happy CDs -- the Sam
Goody store; it has all the Happy CDs under R, though when I asked the
salesmonster to look Happy up (before I managed to find the CDs myself),
they had only Warpaint listed under RHODES H (pop/rock), so I was surprised
to see the other CDs there.  I bought only Warpaint and have (egads) not
finished listening to it yet.

     Did anyone notice that Peter Gabriel (I'm thinking of the Steam video)
now looks a great deal like Paul Tsongas?  Check it out.

     ObKate:  I've had trouble introducing new listeners to Kate.  If I
start with something weird like The Dreaming or Sat In Your Lap, it is
instantly hated (indeed, I didn't like this stuff at first either).  If I
start with something moderately accessible, like Jig of Life or Hello
Earth or RUTH, I still don't really succeed (RUTH has been the best)
because the songs are too hard to understand (shame on me for playing TNW
piecewise) on one listening.  On the other hand, I have been able to use
the fluffier stuff like This Woman's Work or The Man With the Child in His
Eyes, but then the listener pigeonholes Kate as the woman with the pretty
voice and piano, and I have difficulty opening his/her mind to the songs
with more Kateness.  Any suggestions (beyond simply raising the quality of
my friends)?

...Babbitt
--
David Caldwell (Babbitt on IRC)  E-mail:  CALDWELL@CWBIO.BIOC.CWRU.EDU)