Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: News admin <news@sco.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 1:13:37 GMT
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 01:13:31 GMT
Sender: news@sco.com (News admin)

as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:
>Well, I think the answer comes from your own posting.  You speak of the
>inability of the engineer to improve music by "gold plating" it.  And
>plating is all it is; "turdy" music is still "turdy" no matter how it's
>plated, and good music is still good no matter how *it's* plated.

chill out, man!  i wasn't saying the music was turdy.  i was saying the
recorded sound quality of the raw tracks was turdy and it isn't kevin
killen's fault for not making a crystal clear album.  you need good raw
tracks to work with - the best mixologist in the world can't turn hissy
distorted tracks into a crystal clear finished mix.

so, having skillfully defused that bomb, i guess we can safely toss most of
your article, as it builds upon that faulty assumption to an equally
fault-ridden conclusion.

>Maybe it could have been engineered better (I apologize if I've misused the
>terms "engineer," "record," and "mix"); maybe not.  Either way, I don't
>listen for gold plating, I listen for music.  Perhaps it's a good thing I'm
>not a certified recording engineer; my untrained ear didn't notice anything
>gratingly awful, and I was able to enjoy TSW for the brilliance it is.
>Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

my favorite comment from someone's sig file: "too bad ignorance really isn't
bliss - then it would be outlawed."

anyway, i agree that having a tin ear is a good thing.  for years now i have
been able to discern incredibly small differences in pitch and it drives me
absolutely spare because it seems that no two tape decks run at exactly the
same speed.  i make a tape at home, and when i listen to it in my car it is
noticeably (to me) fast.  i hate it.  to add insult to injury, i don't even
have perfect pitch, just some weird holographic-like memory for sound.
guess i should just get a CD player for the car...

>I don't think Kate has to "pull her head out of her butt" in terms of her
>sound quality.  It might be nice, but I'd prefer that she simply concentrate
>on making a new album, even if she has to record in a garage somewhere.  I'd
>buy it; I'd buy it twice.  If TSW was an insult, she's free to insult me all
>she wants.

well, as i said about eight gazillion times when TSW first came out - i
wouldn't harp on the sound quality so much if the songs were better.  i can
overlook a certain amount of audio detritus if the songs are worth the
effort.  but they aren't up to kate's usual high standards and thus the
faults in the recording are rendered all the more obvious.

>P.S. I don't mean this to sound rude, but does your above post really mean
>to say that you are a "certified...beautiful person?"  If so, where does one
>acquire a certificate?

i got it at the school of hard knocks, baby.  i also have a PhD in being
incredibly charismatic, as well.

--
Jon Drukman (God's personal DJ)                 uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
I was an infinitely hot and dense dot.