Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ken livingstone

From: dlangs%sunstroke@sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 30 Nov 1992 18:30:01 GMT
Subject: Re: ken livingstone
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

REWOICC%ERENJ.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU (a virtual stranger) writes:
> quoth ken, "i thought she might be announcing she was going to pay her back
> taxes to 1901. i am quite disappointed."
>
> ken, as you might guess, is of the labor party.
>
> woj

Oh woj, you did what so many journalists do.  It is a pet peeve of mine.
The political party referred to here is the Labour Party, not the Labor Party.
Just because we spell the word differently on t'other side of the pond
doesn't mean that we can misspell a proper noun.  I wonder if other
countries spell Democrat and Republican with a "k" rather than a "c".
This would of course be a similar error if referring to the US political
parties.

I'll shut up now having said my piece.  No offense is intended.

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University