Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My First Time

From: fmcquarr@sfu.ca
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 14:43:31 PST
Subject: My First Time
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

This thread on first Kate experiences has been great!

I first encountered Kate indirectly through a woman I worked with. Old
farts like me will recall that at the time The Kick Inside came out in
North America there was a real glut of female singers (e.g. Pat Benatar,
Ellen Foley, Karla deVito, Ellen SHipley). My co-worker really liked
women singers so she bought almost all this stuff, and she raved about
Kate all the time. I was a regular buyer of Melody Maker and NEw Musical
Express at this point so I knew who Kate was and that she was a big
deal in the UK. However, this combined with my friend's ravings set off
the "hype-o-meter" in my head, and I didn't buy the record.

Then I saw Kate on Saturday Night LIve, and my first reaction was "Oh,
come on, get with it", in reaction to all the eyelash-fluttering, coy
looks, swiveling hips, etc. But at the same time I kind of liked the
"rolling the ball" song. So I figured what the heck, and bought the
record and liked it.

I have to add that I went to England soon after and spent the last week
in London, at which time the tickets for the Hammersmith shows went on
sale. I considered changing my ticket to stay an extra few days and see
a show, but then thought "Oh, why bother, she'll come to Canada soon."
As you can imagine, this is now one of the great "kicking myself"
memories of my entire life....

Fiona McQuarrie
fmquarr@sfu.ca

P.S. I still have that same "oh, come on" reaction when I see the
early videos, but at the same time I do admire her for sticking with
a very distinct, if unfashionable, "style" of performing even when she
was slagged for it quite regularly.

P.P.S. Is it true that Kate used to go out with Hugh Cornwell from the
Stranglers?