Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MailBag

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1992 15:08:31 -0600 (CST)
Subject: MailBag
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Chris here,

Fiona McQuarrie on Kate sheet music:

> I just bought the sheet music book for THe Sensual World at a clearance
> sale, and, boy, am I glad I didn't pay full price for it ($30.00 CDN). The
> transcriptions of the songs consist of the melody line and guitar chords.
> No bass, no orchestration, only the barest of "other stuff" (e.g. the line
> that runs under the spoken opening of The Fog).

   That describes almost every piece of "pop" sheet music I have ever
seen, "Piano for the One-Fingered" and guitar chords. I have only seen
one true transcription of a piece of Kate's music; an "electro-acoustic
transcription" of _The Dreaming_ commissioned by International Musician
and Recording World magazine to accompany their interview of Kate.

   It had every part transcribed as completely as possible, including
the sheep's. If someone has this, GIFs of the pages would make a fine
addition to the archives.

-----------------------------

Steve Berlin:
>> ObKate:  If Kate and Tori got into fisticuffs, who would win?

andrew david simchik:
> Tori--but then she would start feeling guilty and have to write a song to
> forgive herself.  Kate would then seize the opportunity to serve Ms. Amos
> "Coffee Homeground."

  Agreed, Tori could probably beat the crap out of Kate in a boxing
contest. Tori is taller and has a longer reach, not to mention a huge
reserve of anger to draw upon. But in a more free-for-all fight, Kate's
study of the marital arts (Judo or Karate) and archery could be a factor.

----------------------------

Jackie Zucconi:
>> Two guys I work with were gently ribbing me for liking Kate's music and
>> this is what they came up with:
>>  Mark: Do they record Kate Bush belching?
>>  Larry: Yeah, but they call it Tori Amos.
>> Well, I htought it was kinda funny 8)
>                    Kateness,
>                          Liionheart

andrew david simchik:
> UGH!  Not funny, not funny at all.  Be nice to Tori.  She gets trashed on
> this group entirely too much.  :)

> Now, if it had been "Do they record Kate Bush drunk?" or "Do they record
> Tori Amos with a sore throat?"  it might have been more accurate.  ;)

   In answer to the (rhetorical) question; Yes - they _do_ record Kate
Bush drunk. "...I assume that you are pissed out of your head on _The
Big Sky?"

---------------------------

On "Family Snapshot"

>>>  IMHO, it not just any assassin, it's none other than Lee Harvey
>>> Oswald. "The Governor's car is not far behind, he's not the one I've got
>>> in mind."

>> He probably had Oswald in mind when writing the images, but whether
>> he intended it to specifically portray Oswald is another matter.

> I think that's probably the closest to the truth.  The line about the
> Governor's car would imply Oswald, but then Hugh said he wasn't sure--
> probably remembering that Kennedy was in the governor's car.  The line
> on Oswald, from those who buy into the lone nut theory--

   Peter appeared on German television and preformed the german-language
version on electric piano. Footage of the Kennedy assassination and Oswald
was intercut. This was probably with Peter's knowledge and consent, but
with German TV who knows? (Volcanoes on the moors?!?!)

                                 Chris Williams of
                                    Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                       katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Joint)
                                       chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu