Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "As Girls Go" (Re: Gay/straight issue?)

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 92 18:30:39 GMT
Subject: Re: "As Girls Go" (Re: Gay/straight issue?)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

In <9211220515.AA04692@syrinx.umd.edu> jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:

>Richard Caley writes:

>>Obl. music&sexuality:	I like the song on 99.9F about the cross
>>	dresser (or maybe transexual, I hav't worked it out). The
>>	title escapes me, `As Girls Go'?.

>That's one of my favorite tracks on that album of superb songs.  I, too,
>have not decided whether it's about transvestism or transexuality.  It
>seems that the only line that _really_ implies transexuality is "Did you
>ever keep the date / with the steel side of the knife?"  The rest of
>the song, though, seems to indicate crossdressing.

>In another post, you make some reference to the narrator being confused or
>nervous, and I really don't have the slightest idea where you get that
>impression.  To me, she's bemused, in a pleasant, teasing sort of way.
>"So beautiful - a damsel in distress / not exactly natural, but stunning
>none the less."  Seems wonderfully tongue in cheek to me.

>As a vaguely related side reference, note that SV's manager (and Shawn
>Colvin's, for that matter) is Ronald Fierstein, brother of Harvey Fierstein,
>the noted gay playwrite/actor/drag queen.

>Jeff
>--
>|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "Show what you are / Be strong, be true  |
>|                                |  Time for you to / Be who you are."      |
>|jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu            |                         --Happy Rhodes   |

This interpretation makes sense to me...I sat down to read the lyrics again
and got pretty much the same impressions.  I'd really be interested in
discussing the other songs on this album, but I don't want to annoy the
die-hard purist Gaffans.  Therefore, we should tag these "S. vega" or some
such thing.

But then again, no one else is discussing anything, so why not?

Drewcifer
*  Andrew David Simchik *  DISCLAIMER: I said it... 			   *
*  a.k.a. Drewcifer     *  			No one else would!	   *							   *