Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Reminiscence -- liking Kate in spite of SNL

From: Karen van Hoek <vanhoek@bend.ucsd.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 92 20:23:13 PST
Subject: Reminiscence -- liking Kate in spite of SNL
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.berkeley.EDU

On the subject of how we became Kate fans: I saw her performance
on Saturday Night Live and thought it was one of the worst things
I'd ever seen.  My brother and I both thought she couldn't carry
a tune if she used a _bucket_.  Later I ran across TKI in a record
store and started looking at it out of morbid curiosity.  The lyrics
were so fascinating that I bought it, and then was amazed to find
that she can in fact sing.

Now I'm incredibly curious as to whether the SNL performance was
one of her best, and whether I and my brother were just not used to
the high voice -- or whether she really did turn in a lousy
performance.  I've never seen it since the original airing; anyone
else seen it more recently, have an opinion?

Karen

p.s.  My brother is now a confirmed Katefan too.