Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (no subject given!)

From: msubu@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Mr E D G Robertson)
Date: 16 Dec 1992 03:44:23 -0000
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <199212160054.AA17443@pure.pure.com> rpeck@pure.com (Ray Peck) writes:

>In article <1992Dec11.202815.5934@spectrum.xerox.com> cobrin.sbd-e@rx.xerox.com writes:
>>Whilst talking about Katelikes and stuff, anybody remember Toyah?
>>[early 80's, swapped between Acting and Singing and back again, now
>>married to Brian Eno]
>
>Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!  She's married to Robert Fripp, not Eno.  They did an
>album about a year ago with Trey Gunn called "Sunday All Over the
>World" (usually filed under Fripp).  I think the album would be 5x
>better w/o Toyah. . .

	First, yeah! - I remember Toyah well, and I'm still a big fan.  To be
really picky, she actually started in the late 70's, and she's never really
given up singing - just like KaTe she's leaving longer breaks between albums
now:(
	Quick list of albums -

	Sheep Farming In Barnet -1979
	The Blue Meaning -1980
	Toyah! Toyah! Toyah! (live album) -1980
	Anthem -1981
	The Changeling -1982
	Warrior Rock (live album) -1982
	Love Is The Law -1983
	Minx -1985
	Desire -1987
	Prostitute -1989
	Ophelia's Shadow -1991

	Her other 1991 project, mentioned above, is actually the group 'Sunday
All Over The World', the album is entitled 'Kneeling At The Shrine'.  There
was a fourth member, his name is something like Robert Beavis - the surname is
definitely Beavis.
	Her albums do vary a lot in style, I find all of them pleasing in
different moods (although I have to admit, Prostitute is not particularly
marvellous).  Overall I'd say Anthem and Ophelia's Shadow are my favourites.
	Interesting that Toyah was compared to KaTe, though, as to be honest
only her much later stuff (Desire/Ophelia's Shadow) really resembles KaTe
musically - her earlier stuff is, um, a lot louder apart from anything else..
	As for 'Kneeling at the Shrine' being 5x better without Toyah - all I
can say is 'phtpthpthpthpthpth!'
	If anyone wants to talk Toyah, or knows of a Toyah mailing-list or
whatever, email me! (But don't expect a reply soon, cos I go home tomorrow and
return somewhere around Jan 11)
	Regards,

\_____     /   /_ \ |   \     _____/    Xolf, Lord of the Never Known
 \_____    \____/  \____/    _____/       (msubu@csv.warwick.ac.uk)
     \___________  ___________/    We'llSplitYourPersona,SeeYourMindDivide,
               /    \                  PullYouApart,TakeYouBothForARide
               ~~~~~~