Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's music vs. others

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 92 19:16:51 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's music vs. others
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

I can only assume that the following is some sort of well-orchestrated joke.
If so, I apologize in advance.  (And if it is, it's a very good one!)
Either way, time to set the record straight for this poor person.

In <1gbh2oINN5br@smurf.sti.com> stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin) writes:

>In article <9212111838.AA26235@relay1.UU.NET> LAUREN@HARVARDA.HARVARD.EDU (Lauren Caulton) writes:
>>Just to weigh in I continue to find Kate Bush's music incredibly
>>inventive and original. I've only heard one song by Tori Amos, and
>>it didn't interest me. And who is/are Happy Rhodes? And Little Earthquakes?

>Happy Rhodes are a British "rave" band, sort of like New Order, except
>with drum machines and synths.  Little Earthquakes is Tori's first
>backup band, who split from her early in their career and changed
>their name.  I forgot what they changed it to, but they have two
>must-have albums for anyone who likes Kate-like music, one called
>"Smell the Glove", and another just out this year called "Break Like
>The Wind".

"Break Like The Wind" is by Spinal Tap, and is anything but Kate-like.
Little Earthquakes is Tori's second album.  Happy Rhodes I know nothing
about, but I tend to question that description.

>I only heard one song by Tori, too, "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but
>it was all grungy and I didn't understand any of the words.  Maybe
>it was someone doing a cover of her song, I don't know.

No, no, no!  SLTS is a Nirvana song that Tori covered and did a much better
job with it, too.

>- Stev0 the honest and helpful

OK, with that closing it *must* be a joke.  Sorry to spoil it, but I hate to
think of anyone buying Spinal Tap expecting Kate-esque music.  That would be
the cruelest.

>"Oh, I never met anyone quite like you..." - Happy Rhodes

A quote from a New Order song: "Everything's Gone Green," maybe?
** Andrew David Simchik, registered Scorpio ************* SCHNOPIA! *******
as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu