Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What did I get myself into ???

From: Patrick McKinnion <patrickm@netlink.cts.COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 92 17:11:27 PST
Subject: What did I get myself into ???
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

   People -
   I really wasn't trying to compare Tori to Kate, (or Tori to Suzanne,
or anyone else.).   I've just noted that a lot of Love-Hounds I've ran
across seem to have a automatic dislike for Tori, either because A) To
music critics, (BLEGH !!!!!), try to compare them, or B) they seem to
perceive a "threat" to Kate.   I may have assumed that was a universal
reaction, and if so, I'm sorry.  (maybe I should have tested the water,
and NOT assumed it "was only waist-deep")
   Suzanne Vega's work really hits a chord within me when I'm depressed,
and need her lovely melencoly in my life.   Kate's music hits me at a
deeper emotional level, sometimes forcing me to take a good look at my
own feelings.    Tori Amos hits somewhere between the two levels, but
just enough to that darker end that Suzanne's work is, and almost as
deeply as Kate's
   (Enya I use simply because I'm a long-time Clannad fan, but that's
another story.)
   On one level, Tori Amos's work affects me greatly, but Tori's music
never cost me a girlfriend, like Kate's work did.  (Found out far too
late, after my introduction to Kate's work, that my Ex-girlfriend
H-A-T-E-D Kate's music.   We broke up three months later.)
   Tori only has one GOOD album out.  But that's the one where she
actually sings her music, rather than the music that her unlamented first
album force on her.   While she may be a flash in the pan, I'm willing to
think otherwise.
   But she's going to have to be damm good to affect people in the same
way that Kate does.    Because as much as I like Tori Amos, and Suzanne
Vega, they just don't hit the same emotions that Kate does.
                  -- All for now.
                      PatrickM@netlink.cts.com
                       "..I turn to my computer,
                           I spend my evenings with it, like a friend."

--
INTERNET:  patrickm@netlink.cts.com (Patrick McKinnion)
UUCP:   ...!ryptyde!netlink!patrickm