Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

For The Love of kate

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 10 Dec 92 15:43:45 EST
Subject: For The Love of kate
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Chris:

    Its been said that a man cannot truely love a woman, if he does
  not, to some extent, love all women. Being a fan of Kate' music will
  open you up to listening to other female artists, if only to try
  to recapture that same joy of discovery that you felt when you found
  Kate's music. I cannot recall how many posts to Love-Hounds have been
  the "...Wow, this is *GREAT* ...are there any more like her?"

    Kate's music opened me up musically to a number of other artists
  and increased my desire for a "female perspective" on all things.
<<<<<<<

Thank you, Chris, for summing up so *succinctly* what has been
the musical focus of my whole life for the last 4 years.
Try as we may to recapture that same joy of discovery, I fear
that the endeavour is futile.... but hey, I'll keep trying.
So far no one has even come close.  No one approaches the
almost subliminal effect of Kate.  And k d lang does have a great
voice.  The understatedness of Kate has an appeal for me that
Tori will never match.  The cultural gap between Eng. and U.S.
must be a big factor here.  I also liked Jeff's sonic tapestry point.
I only wish Kate would tour even a small fraction as much as
Tori does... in making herself accessible to fans via performance,
Tori clearly wins.  When I think of all the souls that could
be kindled as mine was if Kate would promote her music properly,
well, it's really a bloody shame.

-mjm