Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HOMEGROUND POSTING

From: peter@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Peter FitzGerald-Morr)
Date: 12 Nov 1992 19:14:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: HOMEGROUND POSTING
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I'm not certain this last one got through, so here it is again!
Dear Friends,

More  unfinished business: Thanks to Neil Calton who has been  sending
me  the  full printouts of the LoveHounds Digest.NEIL  -  please  keep
these comming for the time being. We are not downloading in full  yet,
and probably not untill we have sorted out a London connection.

Following  from  the  above,  and just  to  demonstrate  how  computer
illiterate I am, can I seek some guidance from the assembled  computer
geniuses. Exactly what are my basic software needs to operate on  this
thing, including download of mail, archives etc? At the present moment
I  have  the  basic telmerge package supplied  with  Wordstar.  Having
failed  to  use  the BIG SKY's wafmail command  to  download  all  new
messages, it occurs to me there must be something more required.

To  all  those  who have sent me personal e-mail.  Thankyou.  I  don't
intend  to  investigate the world of e-mail untill we  have  the  less
expensive  linkup, and so I shall have to have a sort of  "replies  to
correspondents"  section  here: VICKIE and JESSICA, thankyou  for  the
ecto  material.  I'll  let everyone know as soon as we  havce  a  more
permament  setup.  BARRY  and  especially  CRAIG,  thankyou  for  your
information  on  UK  usenet hookups. This was  extremely  useful.  I'm
trying  to sort something out now with Exnet. ]>OUG - yes  please  for
the  maple leaves. The HG sub to the US is currently 12-10  for  four
issues.  We prefer cash to cheques (on which we get charged  ludicrous
conversion  charges). ALLAN - dried and pressed sounds fine. A few  A4
envelopes  full? SCOTT - thankyou very much for your phone call. I  do
apologise  for  not getting back to you, and I will try to do  so,  if
only  to pick your brains on the wierd and wonderful world  of  comms.
Exnet is indeed the system we have chosen.

One  matter  which  stirred little interest when we  mentioned  it  in
HOMEGROUND some time ago was the possible family link between Kate and
the  other Bush (13th cousin to the Queen) that resides  currently  in
the  White  House.  No - seriously! In 1988 you see, at  the  time  of
George  Bush's  election  the usual people over  here  did  the  usual
geealogical  research  and came up with the following facts:  in  1631
Reynold Bush (George's direct ancestor) emigrated to the Massachussets
colony  with  a group of fellow puritans.

Reynold  Bush's family came from the parish of Messing in the  English
county  of Essex (where there are records of the family name  back  to
1391).  The  village of Messing is just 8 miles from  the  village  of
Pebmarsh. Kate's direct ancestors (documented - at least according  to
Fred  Vermorel  -  and in this connection I thibk  we  can  trust  his
research  -  back  to  the 11th century)  came  from  the  village  of
Pebmarsh. Sadly no-one has done any research to discover if there is a
common ancestor.

Comments on current topics:-------------------*Wow*-------------------
I've  always  seen this as a song about show business  generally,  and
Kate's  short experience of it in 1978. It assembles a  collection  of
images  - the old (and definitely gay) shakesperian ham,  the  starlet
who has to sleep her way to her first role, the struggling band  being
shafted  by  a crooked manager, the agent. These  represent  the  more
sordid side of the entertainment world. Opposed to that is the  chorus
which  represents the sheer magic of perfrorming. That rush of  energy
and  the  sense  of union with the  audience.......and  the  vaseline?
Clearly  a  double meaning. Kate always has tried to  double,  if  not
triple pack her images. In an interview at the time of *Lionheart* (no
doubt  Ron Hill can give us chapter and verse) upon being asked  about
*Wow*  Kate explained it related to her experiences  of  showbusiness,
and added "there are an awful lot of of homosexuals in showbusiness  -
but  that's just an observation not a criticism." Kate has  of  course
worked  with a number of people who coincidently happen to be gay.  As
you all know she has suffered the death of people close to her through
aids. Here's a quote from Kate I've just dug up from an interview on a
Montreal radio station in November 1978:

"*Wow*  is really...about the business that we're in...the  fact  that
you  do  get the people that try to rip you off, and you  do  get  bad
scenes,  and you do get disillusioned and it's not all good; but  when
it's  good  it's  just...WOW! It's just phenomenal.  Again  it's  that
feeling of purpose...when you're doing the thing you know you're  here
for. There's no other feeling!"

Is  there any Kate news I hear you all asking. The short answer is  no
("and  I can't comment on why there's no news!") The  official  target
date remains Spring 93.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
H                                                                  H
H  Peter FitzGerald Morris       H     H   GGGGGGG     "Have       H
H  direct from                   H     H   G            the walls  H
H  HOMEGROUND TOWERS             HHHHHHH   G    GG      got        H
H  at the moment via:            H     H   G     G      ears       H

H  peter@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us    H     H   GGGGGGG      here...?"  H
H                                                                  H
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

----
Peter FitzGerald-Morr
peter@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)