Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Ticket off

From: hasn@midway.uchicago.edu
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1992 19:37:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Ticket off
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@wakinyan.uchicago.edu (News System)

In article <a8J1TB4w165w@netlink.cts.com>, lionhart@netlink.cts.COM (Jackie Zucconi) writes:

> s_wilkin@csd.uwe-bristol.ac.uk (Simon) writes:
>

> > Shouldn't personal morals be as unconnected with musical taste
> > as sexuality is?
> >
> > Sure, stealing is not very nice, but I'm sure thieves have families
> > and loved ones and can appreciate good music too.
> >
> > Anybody out there a criminal who agrees with me?
> >
> > Simon
>
> Simon, keep reading my original post until you understand it....
>                      Kateness,
>                            Lionheart

Jackie, why this moral lesson on "stealing is bad."  Hell its a huge statement
with some risk attached to it.  Kate Bush (I like her music but
havnt sold my soul to her!) would never denounce the thief.....shes
an incredibly leftwing anti-capitalist person.  I can see her as a kid
stealing candy from the neighbourhood store.

And regarding your last statement, why must you be so condescending.
If you lost money because of that person, that is a risk faced by most
businesses.  However, if you're just upset because it was Kate Bush's
CD set that was stolen, thats absurd.  I have nothing against people
who steal, since I'm not in their shoes.  What gives me the right to
have access to music and not someone without the cash. Kates music
is about looking at life in the face.....and the picture isnt that great....
..Lets not listen to her (or for that matter any good music) without
actually thinking about it in connection with what surrounds us.  If that
woman stole, dont be angry with her.  Be angy with the system that
makes such a sad act necessary.  Or for that matter think of her as
a friend of a fellow Kate Bush fan with little to spare.  May be this
will be a Christmas Gift.  Think about it.

Now if you dont mind I have a date with my demagnetizer at the
CD store!!! :-)